[Request] Gas-fired Furnace and Blast Furnace

The place to share your custom game graphics.
Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Request] Gas-fired Furnace and Blast Furnace

Post by Adamo »

I want to implement a "Gas-fired Furnace", which is a furnace powered by fluids. I've played around with mashing together vanilla graphics, but nothing is great. I've seen a few things I might use in the interim in the various texture packs available, but I thought I might ask if there's a graphic artist that wants to make this and get their credit in the mod. It will be part of my "collection" of single buildings offering alternative power sources for production. I could go with a 2x3 or a 3x3 entity. It should have a spot for a fire animation or some working animation that makes it clear the furnace is running. We may not need to do rotation, but if we don't do rotation, we could probably go with either 2x2 or 3x3, and since I'm thinking it should have similar stats to the electric furnace (and be available in a similar place in the tech tree), I'm shying away from making it too small, unless the 2x2 graphic is fantastic! We can probably justify it by saying that you need the extra tile for the pipe, at least. Typically, gas-fired furnaces constitute a round crucible that may or may not rotate in a square chamber containing gas heat elements. We can be imaginative with it, though: this is the future!

I'm also working on a better graphic for a blast furnace. I found something that works out in the community, but a great blast furnace graphic could go a long way. A blast furnace should have a wide, cylindrical center chamber, typically held up by a metal scaffold, and the cylinder comes down to a pointed spout where the liquid slag comes out . It needs to have pumps near its base where the air is injected, a main exhaust pipe somewhere to populate the smoke, plus various gas intakes and outtakes along the cylinder. Typically they simply look like tall, scaffolding towers around a cylindrical chamber, with lots of access points. They also include a tank or two next to the tower where air is heated before it is injected into the furnace. But again, we don't have to stick to modern tech: the point of a blast furnace is simply that you inject hot air into the thing and you collect the mineral and other impurities out of the bottom. The building is used as part of a chemistry mod as a way to use more limestone to turn it into other chemicals that are "leached" from the iron and copper ore as it is smelted, so we just need it to look like it's doing that.

I have a few ideas about what these might look like, and I have a working "blast furnace" made from pasting a stone furnace to a boiler, but I thought I'd just put the post up and see if anyone more brilliant than I am at graphics has their own idea, without sullying those ideas. If I don't hear anything after a while, I'll post some images. Cheers!
Last edited by Adamo on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Gas-fired Furnace and Blast Furnace

Post by darkfrei »

As placeholder you can use electric furnace without ventilators + fire (fire-flame-01.png) + pipe connection (assembling-machine-1-pipe-S.png)
2019-09-15T17_16_13-electric-furnace-base.png - paint.net v4.2.1.png
2019-09-15T17_16_13-electric-furnace-base.png - paint.net v4.2.1.png (32.15 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
2019-09-15T17_21_46-electric-furnace-base.pdn - paint.net v4.2.1.png
2019-09-15T17_21_46-electric-furnace-base.pdn - paint.net v4.2.1.png (33.61 KiB) Viewed 3971 times

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

darkfrei wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm
Hmm. I did try sticking the assembler pipes to the electric furnace like that, before, but it looks a bit better now that you put the flames in it.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

I've made it automatically here: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Steamed The mod is not done, but it makes nice pipe connections.

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

darkfrei wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm
Hey, do you (or anyone else who reads this) know if there's a way to take an existing animation of a fire in the vanilla data and put it BEHIND the furnace animation, so that it only shows in the window (I think the electric furnace window is transparent -- it is on the other furnaces), without moving the furnace animation into a the working_visualizations table? The only way I found to do this was to put the main animation in the working_visualizations table as well as the fire, then they can be layered properly, then putting a third single "picture" of the entity in the idle_animation, essentially like how the centrifuge and Earendel's burner generator are setup.
darkfrei wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:30 pm
Oh, right on, we actually looked at this mod of yours for our server mod kit at one point.

Return to “Texture Packs”