Atomic bomb is too weak

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Atomic bomb is too weak

Post by Hannu »

I used atomic bombs first time in 1.0. They seem to be nerfed to pretty useless compared with spidertron and rockets and artillery. I do not understand what is the point of making gorgeous graphics but balance weapon to level that you try it once and see it beautiful but useless. Also those craters are ugly.

I ask to restore atomic bombs range and blast radius and make black craters (and also those ugly remnants of destroyed biter colonies) decay slowly. For example during 10 hours. It would be very natural that vegetation spread over destroyed areas during time.

I can use spidertron and artillery but it would add nice versatility to tedious area clearing sessions to have third powerful option. Those explosion animations are very nice.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Atomic bomb is too weak

Post by Qon »

Bomb range revert: viewtopic.php?p=509469#p509469

I might look into making it deal proper damage and fix the explosion size some other time. Or someone else does it.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

There should be actual nuclear artillery shells.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

JimBarracus wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:04 am
There should be actual nuclear artillery shells.
Capsule Ammo by Qon
among others.
There's several mods for that if you want it. My mod is the best one, imo ;)

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

I know I'm a bit late, but if you don't mind the performance hit, I have a mod to do realistic levels of damage (including artillery nukes - up to 100kt):
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/True-Nukes

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

BicycleEater wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 pm
I know I'm a bit late, but if you don't mind the performance hit, I have a mod to do realistic levels of damage (including artillery nukes - up to 100kt):
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/True-Nukes
Ohh :o... this looks cool...
Its Your Mod?... ( same name here as on Mod Page :D )

on World im playing right now i deleted all Aliens because they were burning 80% of my UPS
so I don't have to worry about thier attacks but i rly love to test and have fun with weapons ( in my home i have 42 different knifes <3 )

About Topic...
I think Atomic Bomb in Factorio is fine, sure it looks little small if You compare it to REAL NUKE
but stronger Nuke will generate HUGE lags :x...

example -> Minecraft TNT... You can build Bomb of 50.000 TNTs and it will easly freeze ur game and server for long time

so idk...
Making Bomb Bigger -> Naaaa... it will only generate Lags and make it a lot harder to use
Making Bomb Higher DMG -> Naaa... Atomic Bomb can kill everything one Shot... ( maybe some Mod Buildings can survive Nuke )

Only one thing i would change about Atomic Bombs is landscape that is left after Atomic Bomb
If You shot 50 Nukes in Factorio they just make one BOOM and thats all...
I think nukes should change Terrain, generate maybe some Atomic Waste / Trash that player need to clear etc.

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

Yes it is my mod (sorry for the shameless self promotion there).
The mod takes a reasonably capable computer, at least for the larger nukes, but its yields are to scale, and that includes the 100kt. It requires a fair amount of memory, particularly for the 100kt - less than 12GB and it crashes no matter what.
The nukes are slow, but very dramatic, and the 500t and 1kt are very usable.
I managed to detonate the 1kt on my old (2010 ish) laptop, and it was slow, but ran to completion.

Also, I can't play with the base nuke any-more - it just seems so small!
The nukes in the mod work very differently from the base-game nuke, with lots of lua script simulating the damage, and it runs pretty well on the whole, although I'm always working on optimisations.

Return to “Balancing”