Mod Portal download speed too slow

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mod Portal download speed too slow

Post by ElderAxe »

Hello,

I know this is not a bug in the game but don't know where to put it other than here.

Today when I tried to update my installed mods, I noticed that it takes forever to update some mods. (It took almost 1 hour to update 30 mods.)
I know that some of those mods are not small (krastorio 2, space exploration etc.) but the top speed I saw on my network graph was 3Mb/s on that process.
mod-download.png
mod-download.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
I have a 50 Mb/s fiber internet and almost never have a problem with download speed.
speedtest.png
speedtest.png (15.53 KiB) Viewed 3077 times

toxicc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Mod Portal download speed too slow

Post by toxicc »

I have to agree, I often have to launch the game, hit update and wait an hour or two for it to finish downloading before playing. Seems like something that could be much improved.

Protheus7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Protheus7 »

30 min to download 100mb .. hmm I feel like I'm back in the dialup modem age :-)

spjoe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by spjoe »

Had the same issue yesterday and four days ago. Get around 30 kb/s for downloading any mods or downloading the base game.

Checked today again and the base game download speed was 30 mb/s. So it seems that it can happen that their servers or their bandwidth are at their limit.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Don’t get me wrong, it’d be great if they could have better bandwidth for it and all, but that does cost money. Good enterprise internet with decent speeds that aren’t affected by the utilization of other people/companies in your area is expensive.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”