Topics and discussion about specific mods
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.17.x/0.18.x] Bio-Industries

Post by Pi-C »

0.18.31+1.1.1
Merry Christmas! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Just so you can start 2021 with a new version of BI:
0.18.32+1.1.2
Have a happy new year, everybody! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

snouz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by snouz »

Hi Pi-C !
I'm potentially interested in contributing to the mod, but I can't seem to contact you directly yet (forum restriction). I have modding xp on other games (not factorio yet) and graphical/coding capabilities.
Would it be possible to chat a bit? I don't even know if my contribution is welcome/needed, the state of the mod etc..

My contact info : snouz on steam, snouz#0489 on discord, snouz@live.fr...

Edit I was bored so I tried to redo one object using native parts, and I'm liking the result.
Image -- > ImageImage
Graphically contributed to : Bio Industries (soon) | Warehousing | MFerrari's mods | Brevven's mods | Bob Artisanal Reskins | Mining Drones | Teleporters | Emoji signals

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

0.18.34+1.1.4
Mod compatibility issue
Old versions of Auto Track Laying (ATL) would break Bio Industries because entities were built without raising an event. As a result, if the mod was used to place BI's powered rails, they wouldn't be able to transmit power. BI 0.18.34/1.1.4 will fix these rails. But to make sure that nobody will continue to use the old versions of ATL and mess up their powered rails again, I had to add an optional dependency on its latest version. That version is available only for Factorio 1.1 at the moment, so it won't work with BI 0.18.34. You can still use it, though (there's really nothing in the code that would require Factorio 1.1): Just download the latest version for 1.1 from the mod portal, unzip it, and edit info.json:

Code: Select all

-- OLD:
"factorio_version": "1.1",
-- NEW (just pick the line that matches your version of Factorio):
"factorio_version": "1.0",
"factorio_version": "0.18",
Disclaimer: I liked this simple QOL mod (kind of "FARL light") enough to spend some time on it (submitted some code to make it compatible with BI and other mods), so I'm certainly biased. Nevertheless, I'd recommend to try out this mod! :-D
Breaking news
There's a new member on the team! While I was working on this release, snouz has been busy on reworking the graphics and the tech tree. Nothing of this is available yet, but if everything goes as expected, one of these days you'll get a revamped version of BI! I've already had a look at some of the new graphics, and I can't wait to try out the mod when everything is done! :-)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

0.18.35+1.1.5
Now that Factorio 1.1 has been declared stable, there is no reason to continue releasing for Factorio 0.18/1.0 anymore. So this was the last release for the old stable version of the game. :-)

AgnotSeeker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Suggestion for Bio-Industries - Hydroelectric Power Plant

Post by AgnotSeeker »

A hydroelectric power plant. I think this would be an incredibly beautiful structure to add to the game. It could look something like the Hydroelectric Power Plant from Anno 2070 or Anno 2205.

Anno 2070:

Anno 2205:

I know this has been previously suggested in the past and people have commented that this structure would not be possible due to the 'need' for water flow rate calculations. Personally, I believe this idea is overly realistic and unnecessary. So can we just forget about that silly idea since water flow rates do not exist within the Factorio game engine? Now that's out of the way, let's get to the explanation.

The function could work something like one of these two methods while both options share these commonalities:

1. Both must be placed on water only.
2. Both must be connected to the power grid.
3. Both require two land tiles to produce power at maximum capacity, on the left and right of the structure.
4. Both will produce power at the minimal capacity when a vacant water tile is present on either the left or right of the structure.
Option 1
1. The player is required to build only a single section only 20 pixels wide and 100 pixels in length or so.
2. The structure checks for both land tiles and water tiles to the left and right of the segment.
3. It must be attached to at least one land tile.
4. If one segment or the combined segments do not make up a structure that has one land tile attached to the left and one land tile attached to the right of the structure, it will simply produce almost no power. Perhaps a very minimal amount - when a water tile on the left or right and land tile or a adjacent hydro electric power plant structure on the left or right are detected.
5. When the structure is complete - when it has covered the entire width of any given river, it will produce power at maximum capacity which is determined by a static generation rate of each segment and will be cumulative. For example, one segment will produce 1 MW at maximum capacity and maybe 5 KW at minimum capacity.

I'm not clear on the statistics and figures. I'll leave that up to others or the mod developer who are more aware of these things.

Option 2
1. The other option would just be a static structure of 400 px wide and 200 px long or so, which would obviously be far less difficult to code but will have a greater difficulty of use in game since it will require rivers of specific sizes.
2. Placing it on a river too wide - leaving a flow gap as a result of a vacant water tile or more - would simply just cause the power plant to produce minimal power.
3. Having the structure on water and attached to two land tiles on the left and right would result in electricity generation at maximum capacity.

Here are some very simple visual examples:

Blue = Water tiles, Brown = Land tiles, White = Hydroelectric Power Plant Segments or Static structure.

Option 1
These setups will produce minimal power:
Hydro Electric Power Plant 1.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 1.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Hydro Electric Power Plant 2.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 2.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Hydro Electric Power Plant 3.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 3.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 3677 times

This complete setup of segments will result in a power plant that produces power at maximum capacity:
Hydro Electric Power Plant 4.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 4.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Option 2
These static power plants with a vacant water tile to the left or right will produce power at minimal capacity:

Hydro Electric Power Plant 5.1.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 5.1.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Hydro Electric Power Plant 5.2.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 5.2.png (1011 Bytes) Viewed 3677 times
This fully functioning static power plant with land tiles both to the left and right will produce power at maximum capacity.

Hydro Electric Power Plant 6.png
Hydro Electric Power Plant 6.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 3677 times

Please let me know your thoughts.

Di3zel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Di3zel »

I'm reaching the 255 tile mod which is included with my other mods. Any way to reduce the footprint of this mod in an easy way and still keep it?

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gendalf »

What's the point of powered rails? aren't locomotives fuel powered.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

gendalf wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:13 am
What's the point of powered rails? aren't locomotives fuel powered.
The powered rails are not meant to provide electricity for locomotives! Instead, they are an alternative way of distributing power: Usually, you'd put up power poles next to your rails. With powered rails, you hook up just one power pole at each end, and the wires in the rails will conduct the electricity.

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gendalf »

What about wooden pipes, are there limitations? they're much cheaper

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

gendalf wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:46 am
What about wooden pipes, are there limitations? they're much cheaper
Once again, it's all about providing alternatives. Also, I wouldn't say that wooden pipes are much cheaper than the vanilla variety! Iron pipes require just an iron plate, whereas wooden pipes require a copper plate + 8 wood. Total crafting time is 3.7s for the vanilla pipes vs. 4.1s for wooden pipes. So wooden pipes are actually more expensive than iron pipes.

Why should you want to use wooden pipes then? Well, it's about alternatives! If your starting area is in a desert, wood may be hard to come by in the beginning, so you're probably better off using iron pipes. But if there is plenty of wood, you can substitute the iron needed for the pipes with copper. Copper will become more important than iron sometime between mid and late game, but you usually don't need much of it in the early game, so you can use your iron for more important things (ammo, belts etc.).

Also, once you have started your wood production in Bio farms, with the terraformer or by using seedbombs, you will have a lot of wood available. Therefore, BI should provide some sinks for all that wood -- such as wooden pipes.

An additional bonus is that you can recycle wooden pipes you don't need anymore: just burn them! One wooden pipe has the same fuel value as a lump of coal (4 MJ), but it produces less pollution than coal (130% vs. 200%) -- and even less than raw wood (fuel value: 2 MJ, pollution factor: 160%). So if you're riding in a train or car and it is running out of fuel, just feed it some wooden pipes from your inventory and drive on.

Functionally, iron and wooden pipes are the same, so you should be able to connect both types without problems. Perhaps it would make sense to reduce their maximum health, I'd have to think some more about it.

gendalf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gendalf »

@Pi-C, You get 4 wooden pipes for that 1copper/8wood, so it's only worth 0,25c/2w per pipe, and 5,25c/10w for 2*underground;
as opposed to 1i per pipe, 15i per 2 underground.
Which is why I'm saying it's a bit op, especially since wood is renewable.

Also what do you mean with terraformer for getting wood? I thought it's just for terrain changing into forests (for pollution/beautification, I guess) and not for lumber automation, Bio farm buildings are for automation.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: MOD [ 0.18.x / 1.1 ] Bio-Industries

Post by TheSAguy »

Hey Guys,
I've not played in forever!

Just started a new Krastorio 2 / Space Exploration mod and saw that S.E. likes all stack sizes not to exceed 200.
So just made a small update to force the Bio Industries items that are over 200 to be 200 if you're playing S.E.

@Pi-C Amazing work on the mod! Keep it up.

I've added a Github link, if needed....

Return to “Mods”