Beautiful Sushi Belts

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Beautiful Sushi Belts

Post by Olacken »

disentius wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:33 pm
Yes but it's far from circuit free

Edit: Yeah My comment is kind of irelevant since it was a response but still I do check this forum to see beautifull circuit free sushi belt and was sadend after waiting for the loading of the image to see that there were in fact discusting circuit hanging in (Couldn't tell if they are green or red)

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

Olacken wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 am
<snip>discusting circuit <snip>
:D :D :D :D

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Olacken »

Please don't keep track of that because I may or may not be a very heavy circuit user

Skellitor301
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Skellitor301 »

xaetral wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:30 pm
new design!

2700 SPM Sushi Belt:

-snip-
Any updates on this design that fixes the issues?

xaetral
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xaetral »

Skellitor301 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:12 am
Any updates on this design that fixes the issues?
I am sorry I am not on the forum often (at all), I also have been playing less factorio these days (I really need to continue my big mod).

To answer your question I have found what was causing this issue, it's the sushi-to-belt modules at the top, they are nice and compact but they need to be in perfect sync otherwise the items get stuck for a fraction of a second each time, and that delay accumulates because there's no buffer space between the filtered ouputs and the main recycled belts.
So this cause the entire sushi to stop, which then stops the recycled belts, which then makes the sushi stops a bit more, etc
At the end the entire system is locked.

You can try with a bit of modded faster belts at the end of the sushi right before the recyclers, I'm sure this would fix the issue (not a very appealing solution tho I admit)

So I haven't found a solution yet, but the smaller architectures are working flawlessly because they are not this much space constrained.

xaetral
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xaetral »

Olacken wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 am
Yes but it's far from circuit free
If you are interested in the reason why I posted this in the circuit-free designs it's because it really is circuit-free, especially compared to the original sushi belt design.

This design requires full belts on the inputs, it may be ensured by using circuits but it is not mandatory.
As you can see people have been rambling about how to do it without circuits, it's perfectly doable tho it obviously increases the size of the footprint.

I hope you'll find your way into the holy sushi :p

yagaodirac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by yagaodirac »

You need a 1/7 limiter for every sci pack. In that way, if the input keeps stable, the tail filter is even not needed any more.
I am planning to redo the tutorial in English. But not decided yet. It takes time.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

Looks like I never posted my final build:
This one consumes 255 science/min - so 4 of them gives you a nice 1k science/min base ;)
Circuit-free and congestion free
ScienceShushi.png
ScienceShushi.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8528 times

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

May as well drop this in here as well, I guess:

Bottom is with full inputs; top is without. Both work.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I use a sushi belt for the lab complex. But instead of creating a compressed mix (and therefore running into problems if there aren't enough of a type of flask), I use combinators to count how many flasks of each type are on the belt.

I use a memory cell with EACH and all inserters putting on the belt count up, all inserters taking from the belt count down the number. A const combinator holds the target number. If the count is below target, the respective inserter is activated.

And that's it. no problems forever after. just needs 1 belt, but all inserters need to be hooked to the two counting wire networks.

While skipping through this thread, I found the idea to use some other item type as placeholder, if a type of flask is not available and the player does not want to use the circuit network, pretty inventive. well thought! :thumbsup:

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Impatient wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am
I use a sushi belt for the lab complex. But instead of creating a compressed mix (and therefore running into problems if there aren't enough of a type of flask), I use combinators to count how many flasks of each type are on the belt.

I use a memory cell with EACH and all inserters putting on the belt count up, all inserters taking from the belt count down the number. A const combinator holds the target number. If the count is below target, the respective inserter is activated.

And that's it. no problems forever after. just needs 1 belt, but all inserters need to be hooked to the two counting wire networks.

While skipping through this thread, I found the idea to use some other item type as placeholder, if a type of flask is not available and the player does not want to use the circuit network, pretty inventive. well thought! :thumbsup:
I used to use that kind of circuitry -- though with a belt feeds on instead -- until I ran across DaveMcW's implementation that only required circuitry on the feed. If it's a loop, you can use what's coming back to tell you what you need to add, after all. At that point all you have to do is wire up as many downstream tiles (plus the tile you feed onto) as you need to account for the proportions, set them to read-hold, and feed that back to a belt segment set to enable if it gets less than X on the desired signal. Structure the lanes so that only one lane is being fed on, and that that lane feeds in on the downstream side of the tile it joins, and you get a very simple, very compact, way to generate sushi belts for whatever purpose is desired.

However, this is the circuit free forum :p

Regarding the possibility of starved inputs (or missing ones), my layout can handle those. The mechanism of action is to produce uncompressed belts that are then mixed. This acts to provide a cap on the maximum amount of material that can be inserted onto the sushi belt, and any returns from that sushi belt are given absolute priority in being re-injected into the system. So if the input can't keep up, all that happens is less of that material is added to the belt; the other stuff can't cannibalize the free space because they're all throughput limited.

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

This one also works by decompressing every input to 1/4 (or 1/8 in case of space science) and then mixing it.
Leftovers have priority over the new stuff when coming back so it never backs up.
ScienceShushi_1lane.png
ScienceShushi_1lane.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 8413 times

edit- just looked at your version again foamy. Never realized before what fish filters are for. Maybe i can compress it a little more if I use them :?

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Nosferatu wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 pm
edit- just looked at your version again foamy. Never realized before what fish filters are for. Maybe i can compress it a little more if I use them :?
Maybe! I admire your spaghetti twists. Mine just bruteforces it in straight lines.

I think it looks pretty, though. Here it is, now fully implemented as the lab system for a 924 science/m setup:

(In principle, the lab lines could be extended out, so that these four sushi belts would exactly eat the one blue belt of each science being fed it. That would require 41 labs per row, provided the last lab had an extra beacon. I didn't do that because I also wanted to test the splitter block tiling for pulling the sciences from the central bus)

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

While I was thinking how to compress my setup even more I came to a kind of obvious result.
We are decompressing everything to 1/4 after the sorter - the other to 3/4 are sent back to the feed.
And we do this for each sushi.
But why not make one sorter/decompression area that feeds two sushi lanes?

Here it is: Two sushi lanes fed by one sorter spaghetti:
Science2Shushi.png
Science2Shushi.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 8321 times
This one eats 520 science/min

PS: Actually it's 1 and a half sorter. It turned out that one sorter can not handle the backflow of two sushi in case science stopps completely. So I had to build a few pre-sorter too ease the pressure.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

I came to the same conclusion -- you can see that it produces two belts worth of sushi.

The ideal would be to take all seven belts and produce eight belt's worth of sushi out of them directly. Then you don't need to decompress them at all -- as long as the sushis all properly return to the input feed you're all set.

This calls for some experimentation...

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Hrm.

When fed fully compressed belts, splitters exhibit odd behaviours and don't mix as expected.

In the 8:8 balancer, note how what the splitters are doing is a belt swap, not a belt mix. This kind of kiboshes things, at least with a simple plan like this. One option might be to decompress to 50%, and then balance things over 14 belts instead of 7...

xaetral
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xaetral »

Well yeah, things can become weird when the feedback is rigid (by that I mean no space to backup/expand unlike the first designs I posted).

BTW I managed to make my 2700spm sushi belt work.
I just... built 4 times my first dual sushi setup...
Yup, no need to overcomplicate things, if it works why would you want to do it another way :D

Nnelg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nnelg »

Nosferatu wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Thanks. And here is the finished 2to1 both lanes suhsi.
I like this design a lot, so I made it more compact:

(The top example is a slight variation that uses an extra splitter for no reason other than aesthetics.)

One good thing about this design is that it works with any color of belt, and you don't need all four inputs to be supplied for it to function, so you can build one right from the start of the game when you've only got red and green science.

The only problem I've had with it is that if the loop breaks while inputs are active, the backup can cause something of a traffic jam that lingers after it gets fixed - although it's usually minor, and in any case should fix itself with time if you've got enough inserters taking items off the belt (or, you could just empty it manually).

RedRoo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RedRoo »

Nnelg wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:36 pm
I like this design a lot, so I made it more compact:
Thanks for your design. I used it as inspiration for this mess:
factorio_sushi.jpg
factorio_sushi.jpg (660.4 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
1000 spm sushi with no beacons

benoitranque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benoitranque »

Here's my design inspired by this thread.
It takes advantage of red belts being twice as fast as yellow belts.
Downside: required red belts, and cannot be done with blue belts

With this concept, it should also be possible to input 3 yellow belts onto one blue belt, for a total of 6 items!

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”