UPS Optimized Green Circuits 45/s

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

UPS Optimized Green Circuits 45/s

Post by DaveMcW »

This is my solution for producing one blue belt of green circuits. It uses 16 inserters, 18 beacons, and 0 splitters. You can fill in the gaps to make it 20 beacons if you prefer aesthetics over power consumption.

ups-optimized-green-circuits.jpg
ups-optimized-green-circuits.jpg (454.67 KiB) Viewed 12939 times

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: UPS Optimized Green Circuits 45/s

Post by foamy »

... I never thought of putting the circuit assembler ahead of the wire one. But the circuits only need six beacons instead of the full eight, so you don't need to extend the ribbon as far. And there's the other pair you can save in the middle. Neat.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Here is an updated version with UPS-optimized transport belts.

ups optimized green circuits.jpg
ups optimized green circuits.jpg (521.32 KiB) Viewed 7907 times

BiterUnion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BiterUnion »

Do you have any reading tips what "UPS-optimized transport belts" means? Do you try to have the least amount of "overground" belts? If so, could this not be even more optimized by introducing further underground belts on the top part, e.g., for the green circuit or copper belts?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

BiterUnion wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:31 am
Do you have any reading tips what "UPS-optimized transport belts" means? Do you try to have the least amount of "overground" belts? If so, could this not be even more optimized by introducing further underground belts on the top part, e.g., for the green circuit or copper belts?
IIRC, side loading a belt onto another belt is suboptimal UPS-wise. If I'm not mistaken, then less side-loading, more UPS.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BiterUnion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BiterUnion »

Koub wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:46 am
IIRC, side loading a belt onto another belt is suboptimal UPS-wise. If I'm not mistaken, then less side-loading, more UPS.
Got it, thank you!

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Doesn't the side loading belt enter a sleep state until a gap appears in the other belt? Maybe only when both sides of the target belt have no gap? Or only when it's not moving?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mrvn wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:39 pm
Doesn't the side loading belt enter a sleep state until a gap appears in the other belt? Maybe only when both sides of the target belt have no gap? Or only when it's not moving?
Sorry, I don't have sufficient knowledge about these mechanisms to answer. However, I'd suppose that on average, every additional side loading statistically adds up (even if there are sleep <=> active switches).

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Reducing side loading is one factor. Another factor is keeping belts fully compressed. The "show-transport-line-gaps" debug option will show where compression has failed.

BiterUnion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BiterUnion »

DaveMcW wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:32 pm
Another factor is keeping belts fully compressed.
Interesting. Does this mean it would be beneficial for UPS to use red and yellow belts for the iron towards the end of the assembly line in an attempt to keep them fully compressed after the first assemblers have taken iron off the blue belt?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

No, because changing belt color counts as a side load.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

On the other hand slower belts are easier for the inserter to pick up items. Less chasing.

asheiduk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by asheiduk »

Regarding UPS optimization: Are there any up to date resources about UPS optimization where more than individual tidbits are listed/discussed/explained? Having to sieve through the forum brings up many old threads but each of these recommendation could be out of date already.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

asheiduk wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:11 am
Regarding UPS optimization: Are there any up to date resources about UPS optimization where more than individual tidbits are listed/discussed/explained? Having to sieve through the forum brings up many old threads but each of these recommendation could be out of date already.
I'm afraid not. At least, never heard of such a thing.
But this has already been requested some time ago, over there.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

DaveMcW wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:48 am
Here is an updated version with UPS-optimized transport belts.
You can save one pair of underground belts if you break symmetry with the power poles (top one). But maybe that breaks the copper belt as the inserters are now all taking from the same side?
green.png
green.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 7729 times
On the other hand (second row) if you move the blue undergrounds by one tile each then this allows building the setup with yellow belts and no modules early on. This can then be upgraded to red + modules 1. One yellow underground pair can be removed. And then later upgrade to blue removing some red underground belts (changes to the blue version highlighted by white boxes).

Looks to be around 1/3 yellow belt and 1/2 red belt output for that setup. So if you build 6 of those you get 2 yellow belts to start, then 3 red and finally 6 blue.

Return to β€œMechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”