Intentional Throughput Throttling

Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput.
Involving: Belts (balancers, crossings), Inserters, Chests, Furnaces, Assembling Devices ...
Optimized production chains. Compact design.
Please provide blueprints!
Forum rules
Circuit-free solutions of basic factory-design to achieve optimal item-throughput
DarthLunar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Intentional Throughput Throttling

Post by DarthLunar »

I came up with a very simple way to throttle yellow and red belts to 75% throughput:
input_throttlers.gif
input_throttlers.gif (13.03 MiB) Viewed 3380 times
It's very hard to see the difference, but some basic math proves that this works.
For red it's obvious, since half of a blue belt is 22.5 items/s, which is also 75% of 30 items/s, and obviously 22.5 items/s out can be fulfilled by a full red belt coming in.
Yellow is slightly trickier:
  • Start calculating at the middle blue splitter, and assume that's the only bottleneck. (Starting from the input is left as an exercise for the reader; the exact same calculation works either way.)
  • One lane of a blue splitter is 22.5 items/s.
  • Half of that goes to the red belt, so 11.25 items/s.
  • Conveniently, 11.25 happens to be exactly 75% of 15 items/s.
  • The other 11.25 items/s loops back around and joins the input, and 11.25 items/s + 15 items/s is more than 22.5 items/s, so the input is large enough to completely refill the lane.
This could be adapted to throttle blue belts by splitting the blue belt into red and yellow, throttling those, then merging them back into a 75% blue belt. If anyone has a more elegant way of throttling blue belts, I'd love to see it. Splitting belts is great and all, but I prefer one belt in, one belt out designs.

Blueprints:
Red belt:

Yellow belt:

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Intentional Throughput Throttling

Post by Nosferatu »

This only works if the output is consumed completely. Or if you loop it back to the input with a priority splitter - which would leed you to what we came up in the sushi belt thread: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=70094

What do you want to use this for?

DarthLunar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DarthLunar »

This actually works whether or not the output is consumed completely. Even if consumption slows, stops, or restarts after stopping, the input throughput rate will never exceed 75%, the belts just buffer extra items during a backup. So yes, this is completely pointless if you never use the entire 75% throughput, since you could just use a single output priority splitter instead. The main practical use is if you want to make sure that at least 25% of a belt is always going somewhere (like your mall), without limiting that area to only 25% of a belt by using a 25-75 splitter. My intuition says there should be some way of doing this with belt balancers, but I haven't worked out how, and I suspect it's more complicated than an output prioritized splitter followed by this throughput limiter.

However, my favorite use is for science. 90 red and green SPM happens to require exactly 11.25 iron/s, and sending exactly that much allows you to make a neat factory:
perfect_rg_science.png
perfect_rg_science.png (3.21 MiB) Viewed 3311 times
It works perfectly consistently once it's running (at least as far as I can tell), even if it takes about 3 minutes or so before non-science stops trickling out of the output during the initial start-up. Of course, this is completely pointless, but like I already said: I really like one belt in, one belt out designs.

This design uses one continuous belt, which I found to be a very fun challenge. (The inserter assembling machine output in the picture now faces downward, outputting onto the input red belt. I did not bother updating the picture.)
If I learned anything from doing this, it's that I wish inserter stack size always defaulted to 1 unless you explicitly set it higher... All of the inserters taking from the belt have their stack size manually set to 1 (unless I missed one somewhere...). Change them at your own peril, because I have no idea which will break everything and which won't. It would be nice if having a higher stack size never slowed down inserters... but I suppose there's no way to avoid that.

If anyone is crazy and wants this blueprint for some reason:

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

DarthLunar wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 pm
If I learned anything from doing this, it's that I wish inserter stack size always defaulted to 1 unless you explicitly set it higher... All of the inserters taking from the belt have their stack size manually set to 1 (unless I missed one somewhere...). Change them at your own peril, because I have no idea which will break everything and which won't. It would be nice if having a higher stack size never slowed down inserters... but I suppose there's no way to avoid that.
You can copy (Shift+Right Click)-paste(Shift+Left Click) settings from inserter to another just like you can with many other things like assembler recipies or filter or request slots etc.
Also you can blueprint a stack limited inserter and place that instead of inserters directly if you have researched Construction Robotics.
DarthLunar wrote:
It works perfectly consistently once it's running (at least as far as I can tell), even if it takes about 3 minutes or so before non-science stops trickling out of the output during the initial start-up. Of course, this is completely pointless, but like I already said: I really like one belt in, one belt out designs.

This design uses one continuous belt, which I found to be a very fun challenge. (The inserter assembling machine output in the picture now faces downward, outputting onto the input red belt. I did not bother updating the picture.)
Perfectly. Until you get a brown out or blackout and the input continues to output. ;)

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

75-25 split without throughput limit if either blocks:

If you want to guarantee the 75% to top and 25% to bottom but let the other side get more if you don't take your share.
Attachments
ousu(200820-234541-32).jpg
ousu(200820-234541-32).jpg (403.94 KiB) Viewed 3301 times

ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ribsngibs »

DarthLunar wrote:
However, my favorite use is for science. 90 red and green SPM happens to require exactly 11.25 iron/s, and sending exactly that much allows you to make a neat factory:
perfect_rg_science.png

I really, really like that single belt for both input and output design. It's so elegantly perfect.

In your base, do you have any failsafe devices afterwards to grab non-science junk just in case one item sneaks through here and there?

Return to “Mechanical Throughput Magic (circuit-free)”