Gigatrains: 720-car trains supplying a 10K science/min base

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Gigatrains: 720-car trains supplying a 10K science/min base

Post by T-A-R »

Compared to this thread no-one does large trains:p My biggest is a factory around 6-24 trains and 12 beacon setups. You will have to redesign basically everything to fit the right amount of assemblers around the trains;
Instead of bundling all belts into a belt balancer you run a belts from each wagon to a row of assemblers, having multiple identical parallel production lines. I found it surprisingly workable and its very satistfying to see much trough put you gain with longer trains. It would be worth a own page, so i wont steal this one.

Biggest quirk i found in the design process: you can use multiple serial stops within a station loading ore (depending on space/output, for example, a 24 wagon train can be loaded per 24, 2x12, 3x8, 4x6, etc. wagons. But, (yes there was a but coming) that will not work with fluid wagons, pumps only connect when the loco is in that station. Else it would be very viable to have one single train with wagons all around the track, like a bucket elevator.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Gigatrains: 720-car trains supplying a 10K science/min base

Post by wobbycarly »

Aeternus wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm
... man, it must suck if you need to cross the tracks when one of those behemoths passes. If that train is movin, anything that remotely touches it keels over, with that inertia. Where are those trains loaded? What kind of mines are they getting their ore from?
Spidertron. :D
FrodoOf9Fingers wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:07 pm
"Train routing. I wish train stations had an option to specify that only one train should be en route/parked at once. Frustrations with train routing were partly why I switched to crazy-long trains.."

I love this idea, but instead of one, have it be X (X would typically be how many trains you can have queued fot that station).
Version 1.1 :D

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”