LTN is a mod great enough to build a playthrough around

Adds new train stops forming a highly configurable logistic network.

Moderator: Optera

PSquared1234
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

LTN is a mod great enough to build a playthrough around

Post by PSquared1234 »

I just finished my first Sea Block / Space Expansion playthrough, which I played in a city block format. IMO city blocks are only made possible by LTN, and as such my entire game "philosophy" was oriented around LTN. And LTN always worked for me, even when I pushed it. Have providers and requestors with inputs set up on a timer, so that, say, the same station is requesting, for 15 s, one thing, then for the next 15 s something completely different - different product, thresholds, even network? LTN can handle that. Have 200+ trains running on a computer with the UPS down under 25? LTN keeps running. Every time I had problems related to trains, it was always my fault, and never LTN's.

Amazing mod. That somehow you made something this great and flexible as a mod and not built-in to the game, is just incredible.

Thanks for the fantastic mod!

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: LTN is a mod great enough to build a playthrough around

Post by boran_blok »

I have to agree, LTN makes soo much possible because the trains are no longer limited as point to point entities, but behave like bots.

I am now playing a vanilla playtrough to get back into 1.1 and I sorely miss it. I don't even know how I'll manage to get all the ingredients to my mall with standard trains without having a ton of stations.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

boran_blok wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:11 am
I have to agree, LTN makes soo much possible because the trains are no longer limited as point to point entities, but behave like bots.

I am now playing a vanilla playtrough to get back into 1.1 and I sorely miss it. I don't even know how I'll manage to get all the ingredients to my mall with standard trains without having a ton of stations.
this is the concern of LTN for many long term players who don't like it.

LTN prevents you from learning cool tricks by giving you an easy-out.

all you need to do for a build train is filter the wagon slots by middle-clicking on them. limit a number of slots from each wagon, for each item.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

ptx0 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:43 pm
all you need to do for a build train is filter the wagon slots by middle-clicking on them. limit a number of slots from each wagon, for each item.
and be limited to whatever filters you set days ago.
I certainly would forget setting Labs and have to ride back to the mall to manually pick them up.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Optera wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:34 pm
ptx0 wrote:
and be limited to whatever filters you set days ago.
I certainly would forget setting Labs and have to ride back to the mall to manually pick them up.
or change it via radar view?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

ptx0 wrote:

Long time player, since late 0.15 with 3300h in Steam alone, here.

Speaking for yourself, assuming something for others, because I haven't seen anyone else coming here and say that.

First of all, it is a mod. So it's a choice.

I'd rather wrap my head around LTN stations signaling, every save with new setups, than to have trains sitting idle in a stacker.

Trains waiting in a depot, waiting for delivery requests, is a great feature this mods gives you, because it's closer to reality.
Also vanilla train system is built for vanilla game. High throughput over longer distances.

LTN, while it behaves almost like bots on rails when setup right, is far from a fire and forget bot base.

I don't understand vanilla maps with LTN, like Nilaus' "make-every-science blocks" modular base from like 2-3y ago.
But I rather have trains deliver on demand my pY or SB bases with 1-1 trains, playing around with network IDs and priorities

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:22 am
ptx0 wrote:

Speaking for yourself, assuming something for others, because I haven't seen anyone else coming here and say that.

Ptx0 never said that “all” or “most” players dislike it, only that “many” do. This is true: many players, such as myself, with similar or greater hour counts than yourself dislike LTN.

It is a mod and a choice; no one said otherwise. No one will look down on you for using it.
GrumpyJoe wrote:
I don't understand vanilla maps with LTN, like Nilaus' "make-every-science blocks" modular base from like 2-3y ago.
But I rather have trains deliver on demand my pY or SB bases with 1-1 trains, playing around with network IDs and priorities
Good point, but is out of context. Ptx0 was specifically replying to a vanilla scenario, not an overhaul mod.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:16 am

No one will look down on you for using it.
The whole post reads just like that.

What's the point of the post in the first place anyway?
Someone complimenting the author (the same thread, make devs happy, is even pinned in general discussions) gets a reply like:
Well... meh... if you wanna have it the easy way....

Noone is explicitly saying how you should play the game in the long run to have fun. But if you read between the lines, I'm reminded of belts vs. bots

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

GrumpyJoe wrote:

i guess that's supposed to mean something. i've got more than 5500 hours in the game and i started playing in 0.17.59. does that make my opinion more or less valid than yours?

I'd rather wrap my head around LTN stations signaling, every save with new setups, than to have trains sitting idle in a stacker.

Trains waiting in a depot, waiting for delivery requests, is a great feature this mods gives you, because it's closer to reality.
Also vanilla train system is built for vanilla game. High throughput over longer distances.
it's arguably the worst part of LTN, having empty trains sitting in a depot, unused. they're useless, and the extra trips burn CPU for no reason. the risk of contamination is real.

in reality, locomotives are coupled and decoupled from wagons. the wagons are brought to a loading dock and dumped onto a ship, but the locomotive doesn't stay with it. that's not economical.

reality and game are two different things. if you wanted reality, you would have rather slow trains and staged unload - not wagon balancers and other weird stuff that doesn't exist in reality. because more realism is more fun, right?
LTN, while it behaves almost like bots on rails when setup right, is far from a fire and forget bot base.

if you played since .15 i'd expect you to understand better why LTN was useful for vanilla.

for the record, this is my base

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Sadly it seems no one is allowed to say something nice without someone else belittling them.

Thread locked.

Return to “Logistic Train Network”