[kovarex] [1.0.0] Expected resources not shown when tooltip is detached

Bugs that are actually features.
Nahon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[kovarex] [1.0.0] Expected resources not shown when tooltip is detached

Post by Nahon »

When "Entity tooltip on the side" is turned off (Settings > Interface), during building, there is no tooltip displayed as to what resources are expected (and the rest of what's displayed when it's turned on).

Setting turned on, tooltip under the minimap:
tooltip_side.png
tooltip_side.png (774.4 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

Setting turned off, no tooltip is present:
tooltip_none.png
tooltip_none.png (931.79 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

Setting turned off, building is already placed: (This is what I'd expect to see during building.)
tooltip_built.png
tooltip_built.png (360.53 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

I'd expect to see at least what resources the drill is going to mine, as this is really important when ore patches touch. Images show mods are enabled. I double-checked though and the issue is still present when all mods had been removed.

Cheers!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [1.0.0] Expected resources not shown when tooltip is detached

Post by kovarex »

I personally use the tooltip next to cursor (together with tooltip timer to never, so I always activate it manually with shift only when I want to, so I'm kind of aware of how it works UX-wise.

The problem here is, that when the tooltip is attached to the cursor, we don't show the tooltip of the entity being built, as it would just be too much, I don't consider it a bug. Making a special tooltip for expected resources is something I found not worth it.

So I'm going to move this to not a bug.

Wallaby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wallaby »

This functionality already existed in previous versions. And was one of the first things I noticed being missing after updating to 1.0.
From version 0.17
From version 0.17
sc2.JPG (142.8 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
It's extremely useful when trying to avoid ore mixing. Right now I keep building and unbuilding until I find the correct spot, which is cumbersome.

Please consider bringing it back.

Walkman100
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Walkman100 »

Damn, would be awesome if this could be brought back, even as an option. Tooltip on the cursor is so much better than on the side, but this can be quite annoying...

Return to “Not a bug”