game-wide setting to limit how far things can spill

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

game-wide setting to limit how far things can spill

Post by Honktown »

In the context of a modded inventory size and/or crafting speed, dropped items can be very hazardous. Even without modded inventory, someone could intentionally queue up many, many crafts (think thousands of items), and then spill intentionally by dying etc.

The primary example comes from scenarios with a limited map (using void, other surfaces, etc). The game can become 100% busy because it can't find valid spots to drop things (perpetually searching into void). There were many workarounds to try and prevent blocking: preventing players from unequipping armor, aggressively weeding out edge cases, etc.

A "simple" solution is abort spilling when the distance is too high. Whether it's a circular radius or the kind of square roboports and power poles use, either would be nice.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: game-wide setting to limit how far things can spill

Post by ickputzdirwech »

As I understand you it’s possible to get the game to a halt by spilling more items than fit on a limited map?

Another question I have is what should happen to the items that don’t fit on the ground anymore?
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 am
Another question I have is what should happen to the items that don’t fit on the ground anymore?
Put another layer on top. But a true performance fix would be to just drop all items in the closest valid spot with no regard to already spilled items items already on the ground.
Last edited by curiosity on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 am
As I understand you it’s possible to get the game to a halt by spilling more items than fit on a limited map?

Used to term "block" and "busy" because the game goes to 100%, not (a possible) 0%, but yes, frozen, stuck, etc. I figured destroy the items. Sane way to deal with it. Items could also be spilled in stack-sizes to reduce the space required, but in theory a jerk could still break the game.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Modding interface requests”