Re: Version 1.0.0

Post by LuxSublima »

Ichigoshollow wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 pm
jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
Ichigoshollow wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:45 am
Please remove Spidertron. It brings nothing new to the game and only clutters the game with junk.
Good joke, if its one. Otherwise, just ignore it.
It's not a joke. Tell me how adding a spidertron to the game has any relevance to automation? Tell me how it's relevant to a factory? I'll wait. Well what I do is make one then let spitters and biters destroy it over and over.
I just reset my achievements and started a new playthrough on 1.0.

Spidertron adds a LOT:

1. I can hop aboard my Taxi Spider and remote nav to a distant location I would otherwise have to walk to or manually drive to because I don't have trains to it yet, then use map view to tweak/expand my base while I'm moving away, like doing work on a laptop while taking the bus.

2. When a remote mining outpost dries up, I delete it from map view, and send my Disposal Spider to collect. Frees me up to do anything else I want.

3. I made a pack of four Combat Spiders with laser defense and rockets to deal with emergency breaches (hadn't finished my perimeter yet) and for rapidly exploring and/or clearing huge areas far outside my artillery range.

4. I made a pack of fourr Builder Spiders which allowed me to complete my perimeter walls and rail system FAR quicker than I ever had before.

And it sounds like the devs are going to enable logistic request/auto trash with Spidertron, which will make all the above even better. If they also add route planning like with trains, they will be even more useful for automation.

I've put over 1300 hours into Factorio, and Spidertrons have just made a lot of things more enjoyable. I love being able to sit at my base and send commands to an army of specially purposed spiders to do building, deconstructing, combat, and exploring at several distant locations simultaneously. They are relevant to a factory because you can load them up with supplies and roboports, and do things for you without you having to be there. Sure you could get a similar effect by just continuously expanding your logistic coverage, but that's much slower than using spiders. I prefer to have smaller, separated, special purpose logistic networks than one huge network anyway.

I love Spidertron. :)

x123
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by x123 »

I "Diamond Grid" everything, and my base is always a rectangle so I never lose bots flying over aliens.
So for me the spidertron is mostly a better tank, turn off auto fire and fill with nukes and laser defense. I no longer have to do the little dance of jumping out of a tank to let off nukes.

I've yet to play with the remote control, could be interesting.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

x123 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:02 am
I "Diamond Grid" everything, and my base is always a rectangle so I never lose bots flying over aliens.
So for me the spidertron is mostly a better tank, turn off auto fire and fill with nukes and laser defense. I no longer have to do the little dance of jumping out of a tank to let off nukes.

I've yet to play with the remote control, could be interesting.
Making sure your base is a rectangle is overkill. You have to make sure the convex hull of your base will never have biters within it.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Omnifarious wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 am
Making sure your base is a rectangle is overkill. You have to make sure the convex hull of your base will never have biters within it.
Making your perimeter a convex hull* is overkill. Just making sure it is a rectangle is simple enough and works with just straight and and maybe corner pieces for your perimeter defense blueprint etc. Making it less rectangular isn't going to save you time or effort since you now get a short defense perimeter/area contained, but at the price of getting a non-rectangular inside which is harder to split up in sections and fit other rectangular blueprints in and much harder to make blueprints for etc. The gains are not worth it in almost all cases.

* non-rectangular

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Qon wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Making your perimeter a convex hull* is overkill. Just making sure it is a rectangle is simple enough and works with just straight and and maybe corner pieces for your perimeter defense blueprint etc. Making it less rectangular isn't going to save you time or effort since you now get a short defense perimeter/area contained, but at the price of getting a non-rectangular inside which is harder to split up in sections and fit other rectangular blueprints in and much harder to make blueprints for etc. The gains are not worth it in almost all cases.

* non-rectangular
I rarely make bases like that. My perimeters are usually made with sections that are duplicated. I often have diagonal sections in my defenses, especially since I try to make careful use of natural barriers. So, for the way I tend to play, the convex hull concept is useful. Additionally, I think it's an interesting idea in general.

ostlandr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ostlandr »

My bases tend to grow organically (read: horrible spaghetti) and I always incorporate the terrain into my base defenses. Cliffs are unbreachable walls, and lakes are uncrossable moats. If you like, one could use the "Waterfill" mod to actually create moats.

As to bots flying over enemy bases, do you let them travel that far? I try to keep bot flight paths as short as possible. And keeping the "pollution circle" clear of enemy bases is always a priority.
x123 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:02 am

x123
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by x123 »

Yeah, when I say "Diamond Grid" I'm talking about the roboports and connecting power poles. Map looks like an orange and green checkerboard with light blue diamond lines. So bots can go anywhere in my base.
I build the initial grid on water so I can include landfill in the blueprint, radar every 2nd roboport, and away you go.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Just wanted to congratulate your team on the 1.0 release and to thank you for creating a game that I have enjoyed for many hours.

F19
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by F19 »

Hi!
For several years, I, my son, and my daughter played three games on three computers. The game was bought from my son and daughter. I played by connecting to them over LAN. After updating to 1.0.0, when connecting to a network game over LAN, the game says an unknown username and asks to buy. It is already impossible to play LAN who did not buy?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

F19 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Hi!
For several years, I, my son, and my daughter played three games on three computers. The game was bought from my son and daughter. I played by connecting to them over LAN. After updating to 1.0.0, when connecting to a network game over LAN, the game says an unknown username and asks to buy. It is already impossible to play LAN who did not buy?
There should be a box somewhere along the lines of "verify user identity" which you can uncheck, which will remove the login requirement.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

F19 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:59 pm
Hi!
I believe there is an option when setting up the server (hosting for the first time) "verify user identity" Did you make sure to uncheck that?

PS. you could always just buy another copy.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Return to “Releases”