Information about releases and roadmap.
MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 1.1.0

Post by MiniHerc »

LuxSublima wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 pm
I personally don't like screen space permanently repurposed as my reward for launching the rocket. I do like being able to know how many I've launched, but it's not info so important to me 100% of the time that it needs its own dedicated screen area.
How big is your screen? This is what I see with 1.0. It occupies the far upper left corner and is already a toggle. Click icon to see stats. Click icon to hide. The icon 'permanently repurposing' was that big of a deal for you?

LuxSublima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LuxSublima »

gGeorg wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm
One wish you could add to the awesomenes.

When make Shift+click queue command for Spidy allow waypoint snap to any previous waypoint of the current queue. That way it makes queue infinite (self repeating). e.g. Patrol route is born.
I'm super thrilled about the Spidertron waypoints, and i love your suggestion, as long as it is still possible to make a path that crosses itself without having to loop. I often send spiders very long distances, and can see a need to clear the perimeter of a small body of water and continue on to the next, repeat. A different command to enable patrolling or repeat-from-this-waypoint might work better? if i understand you correctly...

LuxSublima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LuxSublima »

Ambaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 pm
LuxSublima wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 pm
I personally don't like screen space permanently repurposed as my reward for launching the rocket. I do like being able to know how many I've launched, but it's not info so important to me 100% of the time that it needs its own dedicated screen area.
How big is your screen? This is what I see with 1.0. It occupies the far upper left corner and is already a toggle. Click icon to see stats. Click icon to hide. The icon 'permanently repurposing' was that big of a deal for you?
Its annoying, yes, though not such a big deal that i ever complained of it before. I prefer a clean HUD. The less unavoidable clutter the better, in my opinion.

Even if it's a small button, it shouldn't be there unless it is pretty much always important. The map and quickbar fit that criteria. The rocket counter does not.

vladdu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vladdu »

Great update!

I installed it alongside the stable version, but there is a problem: the mods are shared and when updating them to the version supporting 1.1, they no longer work on 1.0 and there's no way to revert them... I think this is a bit unfriendly, unless I did something I shouldn't have. Did I?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

I look forward to try these changes. Well done!

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 am
MrBadDragon wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am
Moved the character/vehicle gun window to the left of the quickbar.

WHY??????????? I play on two screens - and use the left screen for the game - now my IMPORTANT player data like weapons are at the far side of the screen, not handily in the middle of my field of view.

I can't see an option to move it back - please provide a fix!!!!!
are you too lazy to look 6 inches to the left?
Why are some people like that? Go stand in the corner and leave the discussion to grown-ups.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

MrBadDragon wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 am
Moved the character/vehicle gun window to the left of the quickbar.

I play on two screens - and use the left screen for the game - now my import player data like weapons are at the far side of the screen, not handily in the middle of my field of view.

I can't see an option to move it back - can you add a toggle option for left right?
I heartily agree, although just because I don't see the freakin' rationale. Why change something after *years* that apparently always worked fine the way it was? *HONESTLY*, *why*.

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

vladdu wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:40 pm
Great update!

I installed it alongside the stable version, but there is a problem: the mods are shared and when updating them to the version supporting 1.1, they no longer work on 1.0 and there's no way to revert them... I think this is a bit unfriendly, unless I did something I shouldn't have. Did I?
I suspect that you're on the Windows.
In this case enter game dir and replace "mods" link onto "mods" directory and put mods there. Although if it installed into Program Files, better way is to create separate directory for mods somewhere in non-privileged area and remake link there.
Also, you can do the same thing with saves.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

seky16 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 pm
Really weird no one here is talking about
Transport belt drag building is locked into a line, can be turned off by an interface setting.
I personally love it, but I'd like to have it under (modifier) hotkey or shortcut. It just feels weird it behaves differently for belts than other entities and turning it on/off through settings is a hustle. I saw some people suggesting this kind of building for other entities, which could be added if it's under a hotkey.
I think it's been turned into a mod already: "Placement Guide" https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PlacementGuide

Presumably it works for belts too since "...easily place straight rows of any entity". So there's your shortcut variant that works for everything, not just belts.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

vladdu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by vladdu »

Merssedes wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm
vladdu wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:40 pm
I suspect that you're on the Windows.
In this case enter game dir and replace "mods" link onto "mods" directory and put mods there. Although if it installed into Program Files, better way is to create separate directory for mods somewhere in non-privileged area and remake link there.
Also, you can do the same thing with saves.
That's correct. I can fix it, but wish the installer didn't do that. Or that one could install older version of mods than the latest.
Thanks!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

About the movment of the armor/ammo window to the left. The reasons are simple:
1) We needed more space for it now, as it can show both the player and the vehicle and there are shortcuts + alert on the right side already
2) It adds more space for the right panel tooltip info

The change is slightly annoying the first, but it is just about muscle memory, nothing more.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

kovarex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 pm
1) We needed more space for it now, as it can show both the player and the vehicle and there are shortcuts + alert on the right side already

The change is slightly annoying the first, but it is just about muscle memory, nothing more.
Please consider making it a toggle. People with larger monitors have plenty of space for it on the right even with the changes. And it's not just about muscle memory; it's also about visuals, as per the person who said they can't easily see stuff on the left side.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

Ambaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:11 pm
I'm concerned about this alarming trend of the developers releasing seemingly random changes that noone asked for, with no options for reversion for those who preferred the old way.

Rocket silo stats GUI removal. Character tab removal. Character/vehicle info moving to left side. As just three that I consider to be major, unwanted changes.
I think we have to be fair to the devs and say that the overwhelming majority of their decisions were, and still are, very good. We wouldn’t play such an awesome game if this wouldn’t be the case. And I say that as someone who also criticised some of their decisions. The devs don’t just do random changes. There is always some reasoning behind them. This doesn’t mean that they never draw the wrong conclusions of course. But until now they always listened to the feedback from the community. And if you read this thread carefully you will notice that they already acknowledged some of the criticism. I really can’t confirm the trend you are referring to.

In general: Since it is impossible to make something perfect you can only try to get as close to perfect as you can (and Factorio is very close imo). But there is always room for improvement. And for things to get better you always need change. That’s the way of life. You have to change something in order to make it better. And that always means that you have to destroy something else, something older. Remove some features, drop support of older game versions. Or dropping habits you developed over years playing this game. (Or in real life dropping habits and live styles that were developed over generations.)
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 pm
In general: Since it is impossible to make something perfect you can only try to get as close to perfect as you can (and Factorio is very close imo). But there is always room for improvement. And for things to get better you always need change. That’s the way of life. You have to change something in order to make it better. And that always means that you have to destroy something else, something older. Remove some features, drop support of older game versions. Or dropping habits you developed over years playing this game. (Or in real life dropping habits and live styles that were developed over generations.)
Change for genuine improvement is good.

Change purely for the sake of change is bad.

Change based on developer preference without regard for user preferences or edge cases .. is also bad.

All 3 of the cases I mentioned could easily have toggles in the options to revert to the 'old' way, without harming anything. I really hope this will be the case when 1.1 officially releases.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Koub wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 pm
Impatient wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm
gGeorg wrote:

When make Shift+click queue command for Spidy allow waypoint snap to any previous waypoint of the current queue. That way it makes queue infinite (self repeating). e.g. Patrol route is born.
You mean "spidertron patrol mode"?
viewtopic.php?t=91787 ;)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88274 actually :lol:
Well, yes. I didnt know someone else had the same idea. So my 2 cents only is - snapping. Previously there were ideas like Shift do waypoint, Ctr do patrol. Excesive Keybind is better to avoid. Make next waypoint auto snap to previous if they are few pixels away, this way creates patrol. On top, you can make commands like move from here to there, then patrol only overt here. All with Hold Shiift+LMB few quick clicks.

TheRaph
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheRaph »

Is it right, that default upgrade of chests is removed? Or is it a bug?

Normnaly I've used upgradeplaner in default mode (empty) for upgrading inserters and chests.

For inserters it works fine, but if I use UP on wooden chests ist will do nothing.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

LuxSublima wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 pm
gGeorg wrote:

I'm super thrilled about the Spidertron waypoints, and i love your suggestion, as long as it is still possible to make a path that crosses itself without having to loop. I often send spiders very long distances, and can see a need to clear the perimeter of a small body of water and continue on to the next, repeat. A different command to enable patrolling or repeat-from-this-waypoint might work better? if i understand you correctly...
When you create a queue of comands, you see small dots - waypoints - connected by a line. So patrol mode happens only when new waypoint comes few pixels from old waypoint so they snap/merge together. e.g. you can definately make cross (patrol) lines, becouse there is not waypoint in the middle.

An example- pres Shift hold. first LMB move Spidy other side of base. second LMB creates walk by the wall, thirth LMB on the same waypoint position as the first LMB click.
Result - spidy moves to the other side of base then walks back and forth by the wall as patrol.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

kovarex wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 pm

It is a muscle memory. However space on left of quick menu is about the same as space on right. So why re-educate happy users? If my eyes are failing then it is easier (less changes to old habits) to move quick menu few pixels left.

Anyway, bigger problem for battles is, out of battery in the middle of the fight. The new battery gauge is very small. It has same importance as HP. Once battery runs out, in the middle of fight, you are dead. Make it please bigger at least previous size.

Díkec :-]
Last edited by gGeorg on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

When assembly machines get reworked? :) I look forward to it soooo much since v18 :) I was hoping it gets done in 1.1 :/

ccw18
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ccw18 »

Seems like the improved underground dragging does not work perfectly: It works fine when u start dragging an underground belt exit on top of an already built underground belt entrance, but this does not work with underground pipes as an underground pipe in the opposite direction of another will fast replace it. If u drag the underground pipe exit from an existing underground pipe exit, it will work, but it only drags till the maximum length minus one tile as it is assuming that the existing underground pipe exit is an underground pipe entrance.

Return to “Releases”