Nauvis Post Collapse 1.0 (Pre-Alpha)

This is the place to share custom user maps, scenarios, and campaigns.
lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Nauvis Post Collapse (16GB ram minimum required)

Post by lilstrip »

Dark_star wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:47 pm
much thanks for response. question all of the "tanker ships" (currently 4) I have seen are empty , no oil is this correct.
yup

Szankstein
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Szankstein »

I just registered because I'm amazed how awesome this map is. Thank you for creating such great map! and Well I have a question, Xterminator said that we could add Bob's/Angel mods but I'm worrying about ores/map generation beyond the city... Do I need to make ore patches in map editor?

onkl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onkl »

Excellent map, thank you very much for the time you invested in this map.

What version of Factorio does this run best with? I tried it with 17.latest. My problem is that I can't use the robo-port to clear or construct. How do I do that right from the start without researching? All the "buttons" on the gui are deactivated.

If you could give me a hint, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

They are disabled for players that have never researched roboports before - you can still use the keyboard shortcuts, or the blueprint menu, also accessible from one of the top right buttons.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

ironhead6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ironhead6 »

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this absolutely amazing map. I'm really enjoying it. I still havn't discovered everything but I started rebuilding some of the western parts because I needed the oil. As a side note, I really like that I don't have to care about power consumption, that gets rid of the boring steam setup in the beginning.

I wonder how long it took you to create this monster of a map?

cgar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cgar »

onkl wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:24 pm
[…]My problem is that I can't use the robo-port to clear or construct. How do I do that right from the start without researching?[…]
You can see the wiki on the shortcut bar for more info but basically just use the console command:

Code: Select all

/unlock-shortcut-bar

onkl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onkl »

cgar wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:38 pm
You can see the wiki on the shortcut bar for more info but basically just use the console command:

/unlock-shortcut-bar
Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for. Great!

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

ironhead6 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 am
Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this absolutely amazing map. I'm really enjoying it. I still havn't discovered everything but I started rebuilding some of the western parts because I needed the oil. As a side note, I really like that I don't have to care about power consumption, that gets rid of the boring steam setup in the beginning.

I wonder how long it took you to create this monster of a map?
took around 800 hours. The main reason why its so big as a whole is to see how motivated i was to work on huge projects. This is the second "big" project ive had so far and it was actual work. All this was in the hopes of seeing if I had the patience and determination to start a real life company and I think its safe to say that wont be a problem :)

I wont be on here much from now on if at all since my main priority now is to finish college and start that company with friends and teachers so i won't have any time to make an update for this map sadly. I hope you guys enjoy the fact I spent so much time on this and hopefully this will motivate some to also start their own maps. This might be a game but working on this project taught me so much on how to take an idea and apply it in real life and engineering is all about that.

Hope this gives you an idea as to what was the main driving force behind this project and why so much work was put into it. Just to give you guys an idea of what becoming an engineer is like: take this map, make it 20 times bigger and on top of having to work on it you have to document stuff and make blueprints so other coworkers can also help out. If anyone has the intention to pursue such a career I hope you feel comfortable with knowing how large the projects you will work on are and how you can work on projects like I did to slowly get used to the pace.

If I will be frank, knowing what i know now, guys like Elon Musk has no life. No dedicated engineer/CEO has a life and if you don't learn to live with pressure or adjust yourself to be productive and healthy you will fail. If you think you have what it takes try doing what i did and every new project try to make it better and bigger so you learn from mistakes. If you can't see yourself using spare time to build your resilience and patience when it comes to large projects you will struggle. I learned alot of things making this project that will allow me to become a better engineer. Sometimes being better at your job doesnt always mean spending more time and trying to reduce constantly the time it takes to do repetitive "chores" will make you way more productive than an engineer that doesnt learn to multi-task and add new time saving techniques constantly. During this whole project I accomplished half of my objectives in the last excrutiating 300 hours and the first 500 was me testing things. You would be surprised how much you can learn from projects like this.

Sometimes over working will make you more productive for the first few days but if you burn out after that you will never have the time to take a break to breath. I will say, college and university wont teach you these skills and it is important for those who want to work as engineers in any fields that big projects will take way more time out of your life than what it took me to build this map (800 hours is still painful to be frank). That said, learning to work with others as an actual team and not using other people to do less work will bring you a LOT further in life than those who simply seek personnal success. If you believe in a project don't be scared to start it alone, having a team should be plan b and you shouldn't stop because no one wants to help. Keep going and if people start joining you will become unstoppable.

This is a factory building game, I assume alot of folks on the forums have interest in making things more efficient or working on large projects so if you want to take that passion of making cool things in the game and apply it in real life DO IT! We live in the most advanced century in history and unlike the 20th century napkin ideas can become wonderful things if you decide to pursue those ideas. Theres a lack of creative engineers world wide and hard working/passionate people is what the world needs right now. I don't know if this will be useful to anyone but if it was don't forget this, try to change your way of life and if you decide to be an actor instead of a spectator in this world no one will stop you. Last year my buisness idea seemed ambitious to a lot of people around me and right now i already have a small team of people ready to work with me to change what is a multi billion dollar industry. I am being backed by teachers who also believe in the vision and they have worked in the field. 10 years ago i didn't even think I would ever have an impact on this world and now doors are constantly opening up and I am drowning in opportunities. That said, believe in whatever you want to do and work hard for it, it will pay off :)

Anyways, that might be the last post I write (sadly the projects done but i have to move on now that I aquired the knowledge I seeked) but for all the creative mod makers out there and those who want to improve this map in any way GO AHEAD! It would be amazing to see what you guys add to this map and hopefully a few years from now this map will have twice the stuff on it to explore!

hopefully a few years from now i will have real life stuff to post on here just to remind people that this was just the beginning of something even bigger :P Life is weird like that sometimes!

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

I've started up this map (holy crap this is amazing) and have run into a few odd biter nests that appear indestructible. Was this intentional? If not I can provide locations.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yes, see posts above.

----

Congratulations on your life project !

AFAIK, it's more the starting of a new company that is taking a toll on personal life (much less I guess if it's a family company ?).
Most engineers are able to have a family, especially these days in the West !

I would disagree about college : it's where I learned about burnout, and also where I was taught to do projects and work in a team. (YMMV)

I'm not sure why you are looking down on 20th century engineers : they accomplished amazing things. We'll be lucky if we manage to do better than them !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Bonghogger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bonghogger »

What a wonderful contribution to the Factorio map world! Good work! This should be a consideration for a Tutorial ending complete with the prologue.
Runs fine on my machine: i7-950 @ 3.07Ghz, Win10 Pro 64bit, GTX 970 Video, 12G Ram

SmileyFreak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SmileyFreak »

If you are having trouble loading this map it may be due to your version of Factorio. From what I can tell the map is generated from version 0.17.65-2 of the game. The current default version of Factorio on Steam is version 0.16.51-0. Under version 0.16 after placing the map in the directory described above the scenario shows up on the scenarios selection under "freeplay" but seems to be a normal freeplay setup (i.e. no map). If you then go and unzip the blueprint.zip in the scenario and place it at the same folder level as blueprint.zip version 0x16 will see the map and give you a map version error.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Thinking about playing this with crafting disabled. Looks fun. Thanks for the magnificent efforts.

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

You bugger.
I was floating around and saw your little "surprise" in the middle of the ocean.
Nicely done, old chap.

Also, excellent map. You should do a tutorial on the map editor now, as I imagine you have the absolute most experience, even over the devs.

Edit:
Meant to say, I play on a 52" screen, and Jesus it scared the hell out of me.
"And then Bender ran."

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Alright, so I have a few dozen hours into this map already, but was considering restarting with the indestructible biter bases set to destructible. My editor/LUA-fu is weak, so can anyone of the gurus assist with:

- remove 'indestructible' tag from all spawners (in editor and/or by LUA command for a game already in progress).
- LUA command that removes 'out of map' tiles from existing map. I'd considered putting in the time to go through the map and correct these myself but I can't figure out how to get the editor to even let me remove them...

Thanks in advance for assist.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Szankstein
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Szankstein »

totally agree with @malventano

And remove indestructible war robots (unfriendly Compilatrons) that are destroying everything on their path, and remove the hidden Infinity chest :D wonder how many hidden "troll features" are still there. I'm not complaining I love this map it's like how Factorio should be played instead of barren empty fresh map and I'm enjoying watching other people playing it!

gh314
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gh314 »

hello. really cool map! i had a question though. are there any cars or tanks with contents that one might lose out on discovering if they were all deleted?
i think deleting all cars and tanks would increase performance on some lower end machines, and i was wondering what ramifications there might be for that action. thanks.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

malventano wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 am
- remove 'indestructible' tag from all spawners (in editor and/or by LUA command for a game already in progress).
Not sexy code .. but this should allow all non-destructible entities to now be destructible :)

/c local surface = game.player.surface 
local count = 0 
for _, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({force="enemy"})) do
   if not entity.destructible then
      entity.destructible = true
      count = count + 1
   end
end
game.player.print(tostring(count) .. " enemey entities now destructible")
Last edited by billbo99 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Some other code snippets ..

Remove all cars with nothing in their inventory

local count = 0
for _, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({name="car"})) do
   inv = entity.get_inventory(defines.inventory.car_trunk)
   if inv.is_empty() then
      entity.destroy()
      count = count + 1
   end
end
game.player.print(tostring(count) .. " cars removed")
Add 1x piece of wood to all cars without fuel

local count = 0
for _, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({name="car"})) do
   inv = entity.get_fuel_inventory()
   if inv.is_empty() then
      inv.insert({name="wood"})
      count = count + 1
   end
end
game.player.print(tostring(count) .. " cars had some wood added")

gh314
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gh314 »

thanks! i'll try out the "remove cars with nothing in their inventory" snippet.

Return to “Maps and Scenarios”