Friday Facts #340 - Deep desyncs

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Friday Facts #340 - Deep desyncs

Post by Klonan »

raidho36 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:07 am
And then people say that I can't be calling this "rookie mistakes". Oh well, eventually they got all of it working anyway.
I don't see how fixing the trigonometric functions during the development of the multiplayer is a rookie mistake,
The problem with the functions was identified and resolved 6 months before the first multiplayer builds of the game were released

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

Klonan wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:28 am
I don't see how fixing the trigonometric functions during the development of the multiplayer is a rookie mistake
You are responding to a slur, not an argument. Just disengage.

Everything looks super obvious to us after you've built it, debugged it and then explained it carefully in an FFF. We all get to feel very clever. Of course I wouldn't make that mistake ... well of course not now that you've found the pitfall and carefully marked it out with hazard tape. The reality is that if this was easy then there would be a lot more excellent games of Factorio's quality. There aren't. You are number 3 behind Portal 2 and the Witcher.

You are programming in a glass enclosure with 2M people looking in. You generously provide weekly updates of the internal development process helping other developers. I've never worked on code or a system that could withstand this level of scrutiny.

Let this thread go, focus on Version 1.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Your game is great Wube, been going on for 8 years, your FFF are awesome and the game sold really well (and continue selling), thus proving the product is a high quality one (not to mention the review rating of this awesome game).

You have one of the most well-documented game development of all time, with great community relationship and the most mod-aware (you try your best to give modders tools and options) game I've known to date, pushing as few contents breaking changes as possible, while adding new features.

In a perfect world, with perfect people, all games published to date, including this one, are not ideal. But in our reality, this game is much closer to perfection than almost all games I've played to date. This is my favorite game of all time, all thanks to Aavak for featuring this game 6+ years go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEUY0k3ktBk).

I'm just glad you guys were able to make this game profitable and enjoy yourselves along the way.

Return to “News”