Friday Facts #349 - The 1.0 plan

Regular reports on Factorio development.
bleistift2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #349 - The 1.0 plan

Post by bleistift2 »

raneo wrote: ↑
Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 pm
I am a dude from germany, tried the german translation once and rolled back to the english original a few hours later. For me it feels awkward to play Factorio in another language than english because
1. I am used to the item/entity names in english language and sometimes struggled finding the stuff that I was after (with german language enabled) […]
3. if I need to look something up in the wiki or stumble across some questions regarding trains/signals or basically everything which I googled ever since ... I found way more resources/tips/blueprints/guides in english language (general tendency throughout the internet)
Same here. It’s always a pain in the β€” to google stuff about games in your own locale.

About the prototype explorer:
* The value can be an array of something, so "empty" should be shown for empty arrays
* Arrays of things with 1 value really should just show the 1 value
Being a programmer myself (although not in C++ and never in Factorio) I find this highly irritating. If you expect a value to be an array of values, then say so in the inspector. β€œempty” (null) is not at all the same as an empty array. The same reason goes for the second bullet point. It the statement propWithArrVal = 'singleVal' throws due to incompatible types, then 'singleVal' is the wrong representation for propWithArrVal. It should be ['singleVal']. Keep in mind that people will use the tool to make their first steps in understanding the API and try to debug their code.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

bobingabout wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 pm
I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
You're gonna be sorry you ever asked when it comes out, it's gonna be absolutely everywhere.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Please restore the function serializing on save. I use a global table to tie e.g. selection and timer events to the right response. I can't find any sane way to handle this, closest I can get is a separate ~on-reload~ table holding dumped functions, but I can't restore the gutted global table on load. Lua has function serialization built in. Please use it.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

quyxkh wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:07 pm
Please restore the function serializing on save. I use a global table to tie e.g. selection and timer events to the right response. I can't find any sane way to handle this, closest I can get is a separate ~on-reload~ table holding dumped functions, but I can't restore the gutted global table on load. Lua has function serialization built in. Please use it.
Just store the tick and the selection area and call some function on it?

There is nothing that serialised functions do that there are not easy and effective ways to do without serialising functions.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
It's Factorio but with more power armor stuff and people keep eating the science packs

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:16 pm
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:07 pm
Just store the tick and the selection area and call some function on it?
They're tied to selection events, there is no area and no tick, and where should I declare which function to call if not in the global table? The daily-driver convenience I've lost is an "iod" command, "instead of deconstruction", that lets me say for instance `/iod b1.clear()` to clear the first inventory instead of deconstructing selected items, or `/bp x=e iod'e.copy_settings(x)'` to remember the currently-selected entity as `x` and then copy its settings to every item selected by the next swipe.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:24 pm
They're tied to selection events, there is no area and no tick, and where should I declare which function to call if not in the global table? The daily-driver convenience I've lost is an "iod" command, "instead of deconstruction", that lets me say for instance `/iod b1.clear()` to clear the first inventory instead of deconstructing selected items, or `/bp x=e iod'e.copy_settings(x)'` to remember the currently-selected entity as `x` and then copy its settings to every item selected by the next swipe.
There are always some workarounds if you really need to, for example you may hold function in source form as a string and before call you may do loadstring() to get a function that you can then call. Strings can be serialised.

Code: Select all

/c (loadstring("game.print('hello')"))()
In 99,99%(guesstimating) of the cases, player is not able to provide lua code to execute and all the code can be held within control.lua or its dependencies so there is no need to store functions within global, numerical or string selectors are enough

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
Your Factorio machine can do other things. I didn't believe it either but it can even load other games for you to play.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 am
I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
Your Factorio machine can do other things. I didn't believe it either but it can even load other games for you to play.
You mean in Factorio, right?

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

V453000 wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am
5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:57 am
I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
You mean in Factorio, right?
Like minesweeper

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _factorio/

sonaxaton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sonaxaton »

For anyone else who might look for this in this thread: you can get the prototype to wiki page mapping using the Factorio MediaWiki API like this:

Code: Select all

https://wiki.factorio.com/api.php?action=parse&format=json&pageid=47231&prop=wikitext%7Crevid

freeafrica
Inserter
Inserter

Post by freeafrica »

Do you guys know anything about what will be the scope of Final game balancing in the roadmap?

I'm really curious and hope there will be some adjustments made to energy modules, in normal gameplay they aren't used at all however in deathworld scenarios they are super OP.

I've created a scenario for myself, which I've figured should be unbeatable, but it was actually, quite easy thanks to green modules.

Edit: a similar topic by me, where a few of us have discussed some balancing options about the green modules.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Drury wrote: ↑
Fri May 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Gonna be epic when Cyberpunk inevitably honors its tradition of never releasing and shunts itself into 2021.
Like clockwork.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:40 pm
Fri May 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Gonna be epic when Cyberpunk inevitably honors its tradition of never releasing and shunts itself into 2021.
Like clockwork.
Good thing Wube moved Factorio's release date the other way. I imagine some other games are not in such fortunate circumstances.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

So guys? Now that Cybepunk follows its rule of delaying the release, will you have the free time post 1.0 to start woking on fluid dynamics for 1.1?

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm
I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
You're gonna be sorry you ever asked when it comes out, it's gonna be absolutely everywhere.
Seems to be gaining visibility with some freebies on GOG for a week:

https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077 ... collection

I wonder if Factorio will do something like this for its 1.0 release... It could be neat to get some hires assets on a "limited" basis.
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

GOKOP
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by GOKOP »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm
I have only 1 question.

what is Cyberpunk 2077?
Seems to be gaining visibility with some freebies on GOG for a week:

https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077 ... collection

I wonder if Factorio will do something like this for its 1.0 release... It could be neat to get some hires assets on a "limited" basis.
They've said they have a strict no discount policy

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

GOKOP wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 am
It does not have to be a discount. It can be wallpapers, artwork, design paths that didn't make it, ...
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

GOKOP wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 am
My link was to a package of wallpapers, art, music, etc... not a discount on the game. I am proud to be able to say "I was here at Factorio 1.0". I imagine most people who are active on this forum and held on from at least 0.16 to now feel the same. : )
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Return to β€œNews”