Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Post by FactorioBot »

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Post by DanGio »

ok jaws were dropped :)

trilader
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by trilader »

Since you've removed the character tab: Is there still an option to access the inventory of your armor while in a vehicle?
In 1.0 you can do that in the character tab (e.g. while inside a Spidertron) when the vehicle replaces your normal armor/weapons selection bar.

br85
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by br85 »

That night time lighting is something I've silently wished for since I started playing Factorio.

This makes me very happy indeed.

arrow in my gluteus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by arrow in my gluteus »

This is so gonna break Facto-RayO...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

trilader wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 am
Is there still an option to access the inventory of your armor while in a vehicle?
Yes
Attachments
factorio-run_2020-11-13_12-13-46.png
factorio-run_2020-11-13_12-13-46.png (60.72 KiB) Viewed 40405 times

Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jelmergu »

I am not so certain about the inventory revert, I quite like the way it is right now. It is less busy the way it is now, and most of the time you don't need both at the same time.

Also you say that the battery and shield is on the main UI. While that is true, there is no numeric display of both, which is present in the current armor tab. For new players it might even be unintuitive to right click on the armor to open the grid

I think you should stick by the changes made according to FFF#338 and FFF#289, or allow the player to choose which one to use

sevs44936
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sevs44936 »

With regards to the rich text icon selector, I'd much prefer if the selector uses the "[img=item/iron-plate]" variant instead of "[item=iron-plate]".
When used with LTN the station names are used to announce deliveries in chat, the "[item" variant also renders the full item name, cluttering chat quite a bit.

Perhaps a switch that remembers it's last position between "Raw Icon"/"Item with name"?

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

Jelmergu wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:20 am
I am not so certain about the inventory revert, I quite like the way it is right now. It is less busy the way it is now, and most of the time you don't need both at the same time.
Maybe someone from Wube can confirm, but the way I read it, the tabs will still be available as an option, just the default will be the flat layout.

My issue with the flat layout is that logistics should be on the far right. You won't have them by default, so the crafting menu is right next to the player, then sometime later this logistics menu crams its way into the middle.

And as tabs, the logistics menu is currently the 'far right' tab, so if flattened out, I would expect it to the far right panel.

Edit: Checked the current game, and even with 'flat GUI' checked, the logistics panel is the far right. Please leave it there.
Last edited by sorahn on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

The nighttime lighting looks STUNNING!!!! I am sooo excited for this, its been one of my most wanted features for ages and ages. The existing coloured lights have a "painted" appearance and don't seem like proper light sources, but the new lighting just completely solves this.

I totally love the lights on the locomotive!! They look awesome. Oh man, I can't wait for this update.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

That nighttime lighting! 😍

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

...not to diminish all the other stuff.
  • I like those alert arrows, so I can go chase down a problem without having to find it on the map first.
  • I played around with the rich text icon stuff a bit, but it was hard to figure out how to get it to work, and I was mostly guessing what the entities were called. This is a great improvement.
  • The straight-line belt building is great! I think people "spraying" belts will be OK; by the time they have that many belts, they're probably building them with bots anyway.
  • I really like those icons showing exactly what the technology upgrades affect.
Next week, you say? Maybe I should schedule some vacation. :D

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

The main motivation to finally do this was the process of building entities directly from spidertron. It works quite okay, as long as you don't need to build a straight line of belts, in which case it very often happens, that the spidertron fuzzy/iratic movement patterns work against you.
While it probably makes some people angry, which what I imagine "iratic" may mean if it was a word, you probably meant "erratic".

Nexarius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nexarius »

Awesome !

Could we also get an option to change the zoom level which changes from normal view to map view?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

If those big arrows are really being drawn on top of the building menu slots I can see that getting old really fast, will reserve judgement until I get to play with it.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 40330 times
I'm thinking of some game I have in my library where you have things like this but they're tiny pulsing circles instead, can't think of it.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:53 am
If those big arrows are really being drawn on top of the building menu slots I can see that getting old really fast, will reserve judgement until I get to play with it.

Untitled.jpg
They're only visible when you're hovering the alert.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

All in all good changes. Especially the alert arrows and the graphical tweaks for those shiny blue nights.

I’m not entirely sold on the removal of the characters tab though. The redundancy would be much less relevant if all armour modules were togglable and not only exoskeletons and roboports. This would overcrowd the shortcut bar, but having to toggle night vision, belt immunity, lasers or even an automatic defence for discharge defence would sometimes be convenient. The (none-flat) tab wouldn't bother in an otherwise flat character GUI. Besides, it's far less prone to catastrophic error accessing the grid via the character tab.

Having a flat character GUI by default means, that we still have the option for the non-flat via the options?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

sorahn wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:54 am
They're only visible when you're hovering the alert.
OK, that works.

TheCornishman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheCornishman »

It doesn't support all the functionality that the rich supports, like changing font color or using some obscure sprites, as we don't want to advertise this usage too much
I don't know how much would be too much, but dangling a hook like that in a FFF post could be enough. I'm off to try out weird stuff in square brackets :geek:

Xoriun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xoriun »

Regarding the belt drag change:
Would it be possible to add a button for it. Like when you hold it, the belts will only be placed in one line, if it is not pressed you have the old/standard behavior.

Return to “News”