[0.17.34 OSX] Mission Control shows black copies of game when restarting to apply mods

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
tiggerbiggo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.34 OSX] Mission Control shows black copies of game when restarting to apply mods

Post by tiggerbiggo »

Hi,

When in OSX native fullscreen mode, applying mod changes seems to not close the fullscreen window before making a new one, resulting in a "phantom" window with full black. These spaces disappear when factorio is closed either by cmd+q or by clicking "Exit" on the main menu.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start factorio on OSX, it should start in a window on your desktop

2. Set Factorio to fullscreen by clicking the green "expand" button or dragging it up with mission control

3. Apply a change in the Mods menu of Factorio and confirm, which will trigger a game restart

4. OSX will switch over to the desktop where a new factorio window will show, in windowed mode.

The old fullscreen space should be black, and will switch to the "real" version of factorio after a couple of seconds of being on that space. This process can be repeated as many times as you "want" to make as many black windows as you like.

These will all disappear when the application is completely closed. I think the problem is that factorio doesn't appear to fully quit the application, more like a "soft" restart, and there's some code missing to completely dispose of the old window space.

NOTE: The example in the screenshot below was launched through steam and had the overlay enabled, however the standalone app does the same thing.

Please see the below screenshot for an example of the bug in action.
The result of the issue, an increasing number of black boxes.
The result of the issue, an increasing number of black boxes.
Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 10.57.37.png (62.56 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

I have attached both log files, since part of the bug involves the program "restarting" it created a factorio-previous log. These logs are from right after I performed the steps above to produce a single blank duplicate.

Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
factorio-current.log
(4.78 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.34 OSX] Mission Control shows black copies of game when restarting to apply mods

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. We don't do anything special with restarting Factorio on OSX so what ever is causing this isn't code we've written - I suggest you make a bug report to the SDL library (the window library we use for Factorio) since it's almost certainly related to how they manage the window on OSX.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Boardy
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.17.34 OSX] Mission Control shows black copies of game when restarting to apply mods

Post by Boardy »

This still persists (in 0.18.9). It also creates these black empty screens when restarting for an update from within Factorio (not Steam). It seems it's just an empty fullscreen desktop, left behind.

When you hover over the (black) desktops in misson control, you will see the exit full screen button. When you click that, the desktop will disappear.
Black.png
Black.png (57.02 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
It's a workable work-around, but would still be nice if it would clean up automatically.
We don't do anything special with restarting Factorio on OSX so what ever is causing this isn't code we've written - I suggest you make a bug report to the SDL library
Update: Bug reported. It is assigned and scheduled to be resolved in version 2.0.14.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:40 pm
Thanks for the report. We don't do anything special with restarting Factorio on OSX so what ever is causing this isn't code we've written - I suggest you make a bug report to the SDL library (the window library we use for Factorio) since it's almost certainly related to how they manage the window on OSX.
Boardy wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:56 am
Update: Bug reported. It is assigned and scheduled to be resolved in version 2.0.14.
Presumably this is the referenced bug report. There's no indication there that it was fixed, but SDL 2.0.14 came out in December 2020. Is factorio likely to update SDL anytime soon?

Edit: I guess the fact that it is still open means that it wasn't fixed...
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

abbakadabba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by abbakadabba »

[1.1.69] - still an issue.
As linked above, SDL has the issue in their GitHub. It doesn't say it was fixed, only that the "Bug" tag was removed.

1. What did you do?
- start factorio
- Cmd+Control+F (fullscreen)
- Click "Mods"
- Enable / disable any mod
- Click "Confirm"
2. What happened?
- Factorio restarts leaving orphaned full screen window
3. What did you expect to happen instead?
- Factorio window closes while restarting

Factorio version: 1.1.69 (build 60061, mac) - standalone version
OS version: macOS Monterey 12.6
Computer: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Screen Recording 2022-10-21 at 3.53.48 PM-1.gif
Screen Recording 2022-10-21 at 3.53.48 PM-1.gif (14.74 MiB) Viewed 967 times
factorio-current.log
(4.95 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Return to “Minor issues”