[1.1.18] Tank target graphic is green when pointing out of range with Tank Cannon, not with Vehicle Machine Gun

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[1.1.18] Tank target graphic is green when pointing out of range with Tank Cannon, not with Vehicle Machine Gun

Post by matjojo »

What happened?

When you aim a tank with the Tank Cannon selected the target graphic is green even if the target is out of range, this is not the case with the Vehicle Machine Gun.
(Note that as visible in the images, you cannot actually shoot this far, it's just the graphic that is wrong/misleading.)
What I expected:

When you aim a tank with the Tank Cannon selected the target graphic is red when aiming out of range.

With tank cannon selected
With tank cannon selected
factorio_2021-01-26 - 1611673899 - 00001613.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2054 times
With vehicle machine gun selected
With vehicle machine gun selected
factorio_2021-01-26 - 1611673940 - 00001614.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2054 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.18] Tank target graphic is green when pointing out of range with Tank Cannon, not with Vehicle Machine Gun

Post by Twinsen »

This is probably minor issue or not a bug.

Red means "can't shoot", green means "can shoot"

The tank cannons will always shoot even if the target is out of range, as it pierces everything on the way, so it can be useful to aim at a particular enemy/building far away and pierce what it can along the path.
Useful when you are being chased by enemies.
Marking the target red might be misleading as you might think you can't or are not actively shooting.

bormand
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.18] Tank target graphic is green when pointing out of range with Tank Cannon, not with Vehicle Machine Gun

Post by bormand »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:39 pm
Marking the target red might be misleading as you might think you can't or are not actively shooting.
Green is a bit misleading too: you shoot and shells don't get to the target. You need to feel the distance to shoot properly, you can't rely on cursor color.

So, yellow circle for tank cannon out-of-range, maybe?

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

It confused the hell out of me the first time I took my newly built tank out for a spin.

"Woah, I can hit it all the way from out here!"

I was mightily annoyed to have wasted one of my at-that-time limited supply of tank shells.

I second the yellow circle idea.

matjojo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by matjojo »

I see... I'm more a fan of placing the green target at the distance the shell will hit. Akin to how ilthe target moves a little when you shoot with auto targeting system for the other guns.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Unless someone else wants to go tinkering with the logic I'm ok with saying minor issue and or won't-fix. It functions as Twinsen says; it's green if you can shoot and red if you can't. Throwing a bunch of extra complexity on top of that might sound like fun to someone but I don't think it's worth it to change.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

matjojo wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:59 pm
I see... I'm more a fan of placing the green target at the distance the shell will hit. Akin to how ilthe target moves a little when you shoot with auto targeting system for the other guns.
Oh I love this idea. It is always annoying that you don't know if you are in range or not with the tank.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Return to “Minor issues”