Multiplayer Map downloads Fast on same subnet, but Fricking snail´s pace on other subnet.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
memyselfandfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Multiplayer Map downloads Fast on same subnet, but Fricking snail´s pace on other subnet.

Post by memyselfandfactorio »

Hi!

I´ve been having a ton of issues with growing the factorio with friends.

If I start a Factorio server, the lan clients on the same network (e.g 192.168.0.0/24) are lan speed fast (9MB/s ) but if a client is in a different subnet (192.168.1.0/24) the speeds drop to 80-100kb/s. I can see the same behaviour when connected over vpn, steam game, and so on. I thought it might be the wan. But as we where trying a mega base at work, and 4 people are connected to the same network where the server is running, but 2 are 2 offices down the row, but have a different subnet - the speeds are really really slow. Wtf? I found lots and lots of reports, but was this issue solved in any way? It really really sucks to have a fast network, fast computers, people that actually have time to play, and then we can´t really play this game with large large mega bases (save file is 140MB)

Any help would really be great (no moving the computers isn´t an option, as they are locked in place.)

memyselfandfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Map downloads Fast on same subnet, but Fricking snail´s pace on other subnet.

really shocked that there isn´t a solution for this problem. I will be trying a bridged vpn server for future play togethers. But Haven´t come around to setting it up.

I will keep you posted!

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Multiplayer Map downloads Fast on same subnet, but Fricking snail´s pace on other subnet.

Post by starlinvf »

Well... this is new information. As far as I've seen, theres never been much headway on isolating it, because theres not enough info to intentionally replicate it. usually suffering at the hands of unknown network configurations.

But if theres different subnets, it means theres routing involved. If you can setup PCAPs and compare them, that'll be some good info for replication testing. Flagging behaviors, fragmentation, ICMP errors, and maybe set up a counter profile on the router to check flow-through, and/or drops from the target machines.

memyselfandfactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

o.k. ich will setup some captures following this:

same test device (laptop with LAN and WLAN)
same Headless Server on the LAN

one test connected to the same subnet via lan
on test connected to the wifi with a different subnet

should I post the pcap´s here, or upload them somewhere else?

Return to “Technical Help”