Weird client FPS behaviour

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
KillerAnt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Weird client FPS behaviour

Post by KillerAnt »

I have the following issue playing with a friend, who is hosting our multiplayer game. UPS are about 50, his FPS are the same as the UPS.

I am for the last two or three hours just letting my game run and looking at the FPS because often it is unplayable. He is telling me what he is doing, and it seems whenever he is in the map view, my (client) FPS are 40+, when he is in the normal view, they drop to unplayable 4.5 FPS.

How can my FPS depend on whether he is in the map view or in the normal view? The game simulation should still run the same, no matter what.

KillerAnt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Weird client FPS behaviour

Post by KillerAnt »

We tried it out today - If he just lets the game run and goes to dinner, without going into map mode, my game runs at 4.0 fps and disconnects after some time because it can't keep up. If he goes into map mode before leaving the PC, I have no problem playing on while he is away.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

try to swap host.

I cant remember how it was, but the server has to be faster or slower as the client in order to keep up.

KillerAnt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KillerAnt »

It may or may not have worked, we do not have the same problem the other way around.
Still, isn't it weird that it works when he is in map mode?
My FPS have a factor 10 between him being in map mode and normal mode. That isn't something I can wrap my head around, despite being a software developer myself.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

KillerAnt wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:50 pm
It may or may not have worked, we do not have the same problem the other way around.
Still, isn't it weird that it works when he is in map mode?
My FPS have a factor 10 between him being in map mode and normal mode. That isn't something I can wrap my head around, despite being a software developer myself.
can you run the game inside a profiler like perf on Linux or (assuming, tbh) VSCode on Windows?

KillerAnt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KillerAnt »

VSCode as a profiler? Learning something new every day.

I may be able to do so on the weekend. Which profilers (e.g. from this long list) do you think are most suited for the kind of profiling you think of?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

KillerAnt wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 pm
VSCode as a profiler? Learning something new every day.

I may be able to do so on the weekend. Which profilers (e.g. from this long list) do you think are most suited for the kind of profiling you think of?
I'm a Linux dev, not a Windows user - can't answer that question. I'd boot into a Live USB for Linux and run the factorio.com binary.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

if you google around that forum here ive read the explaination a dozen times, but i just remembered that you swap and it works, it has to do with that everyone needs to do the same calculations at every point in time. And i think the fastest shouldnt be the host, but that might be just wrong remembered.

KillerAnt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KillerAnt »

Then why does it work when the host is in map mode? What is so different about map mode that currently I have 32.5 fps when he is in map mode, but only 2.5 FPS when he isn't?

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

probably gpu constrained?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Grab GPU-Z and launch it on host.
Might show some data about whats going on - depends on GPU in use.

You should check GPU usage % and how much memory is in use. Those might show if something is maxed out and slowing down the rest of processing.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

KillerAnt wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:24 pm
Then why does it work when the host is in map mode? What is so different about map mode that currently I have 32.5 fps when he is in map mode, but only 2.5 FPS when he isn't?
no one can answer that until you profile your savegame during the problem and after.

orzelek is onto something with VRAM suggestion, I think.

Return to “Technical Help”