factorio not using CPU or memory

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
alaricdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

factorio not using CPU or memory

Post by alaricdragon »

i have noticed a large amount of shuttering and slowdowns on in my modded factorio game (that was runing fine for about 17 hours before shutters started), however when I went to look at my CPU usage, I noticed that factorio was only using:
4% - 5.5% of my CPU (of 98%ish available CPU)
1.4 GB of memory (of 11 GB of available memory)
between 1% and 12% GPU (100%ish of available GPU)
it says my power uses is 'very high', however after looking it up I don't know if that is relevant? (I'm not using a laptop)

status gotten from task manager

other more resource intensive games tend to run fine, but with factorio its all shutters and general slowdowns for no reason.
any ideas what is going on? I don't think factorio should be shuttering when I'm using so few resources?

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: factorio not using CPU or memory

Post by Silari »

Factorio is primarily single threaded, so it's basically never going to use a significant percentage of your CPU (No more than 1/Number of cores), and it's engine is very different from most other games so the bottlenecks are usually in different spots. Some tasks are limited by memory bandwidth, rather than CPU speed or RAM size, which task manager isn't going to show.

GPU wise having enough VRAM to hold all the sprites is more important than any actual processing power - drawing sprites doesn't tax the GPU, but if it has to stream those sprites from RAM or a drive the game will run slowly. Mods can dramatically increase the number of sprites and thus the needed VRAM.

It's also quite possible one of your mods is running scripts that are taking a long time to complete.

Hit F4 to bring up the debug menu and activate the show-fps and show-time-usage options (and maybe show-gpu-time-usage) and it'll give an idea of why it's stuttering. If you don't know how to read that info, post a screenshot up and someone will probably take a look at it.

alaricdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alaricdragon »

screenshot with show-fps, show-time-usage, and show-gpu-time-usage
screenshot with show-fps, show-time-usage, and show-gpu-time-usage
Screenshot (2).png (3.4 MiB) Viewed 3445 times
some exstra data from a scan thing or something
blaaaa.gif (23.42 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
blaaaaa2.gif (21.54 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
I have no idea if I sent this right
the 'space exploration mod' is blocking some of the things in the screen shot of factorio. no idea how to remove that without removing the mod
the second two attachments are from an program a friend recommended I download, to see what is being used. no idea if it is useful or not though, but thought I would share it just in case.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Seems CPU bound, if you post your log and save file someone could tell you if this is unusual.

alaricdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alaricdragon »

takeing over the world as robots.zip
save file
(9.87 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
factorio-current.log
log file
(88.82 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
my save file, and what I think is my log file? as requested

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Entity update is taking a loooooong time. The base in your screenshot looks fairly large, so if you've got similar sized ones on other surfaces from SE then the speed seems pretty normal. Your logfile says you have a 24 logical core CPU, which means task manager is only going to report ~4-5% usage if one core is being fully utilized, which matches what you said above, so yes you're very likely CPU bound. The game uses threading where it can, but overall it's still very bound to single core performance.

alaricdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alaricdragon »

I think the entity update's comes from natural evolution enemy's and biter factions, the 2 mods like each other a little two mush I think, as the base you see is all my buildings and units, no other bases anywhere

so its the fact that by the nature of this game it needs to use only a single 'logical core CPU' to do things that is causing the lag then? that's the bottleneck? that's too bad. I will have to do something about this, so things can work better.

regardless, thanks for the fast responses, I was kind of worried it would take a year or two before I got some answers to what the lag is, and I'm glad that this difficulty is resolved then.

alaricdragon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by alaricdragon »

I removed the 'natural evolution enemy's' mod, and it seams that there were some 130k small alien artifacts on the ground, about 750 'ne-fire-flame-0 and some odd 1.5k units got removed. guess all the infighting with 'bitter factions' started to take clog up my system?

Return to “Technical Help”