Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Bob's Mod Graphics Update Discussion

Post by Zombiee »

Worth it? Probably not, but the voices told me to do it.
Colormix2.png
Colormix2.png (393.76 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
Ignore the blue caps to dead end pipes, that's just for contrast.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Zombiee wrote:Worth it?
Always.

Although it took more effort, the effort was worth not constantly being distracted by minor issues or mistakes. This game attracts a lot of perfectionists and OCD people, so even the smallest of things stands out like a flare in the night sky. So thank the little voice in your head that's probably your perfectionist side speaking for us.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Well, I completed all the recolorings:
Low/Hi Res Underneathies, Splitters, Pipes
Hi Res Inserters, Belts
AND made the pipes connections look correct when connecting to a building/different color pipe.

The voices in my head were momentarily pleased .. now they are wondering how long you can continue typing if you light the keyboard on fire.

Please, any bugs/feedback/requests for the mod - toss into the thread I have for the mod:
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=49788

To Bob: If you like these, consider them yours for the using. If you do, I have a copy of boblogistics like 90% modified to use these graphics I made for testing that could save you some scutwork .. maybe. It might also be terribly written. Either way, shoot me a PM if you want it and I'll send it with a list of what's changed/not done.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Latest pipe update has an odd thing when you are attaching an underground pipe from top to bottom:
broken pipes.PNG
broken pipes.PNG (61.66 KiB) Viewed 9206 times

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Actually, that odd effect will happen when you connect any pipe to a horizontal pipe or a pipe turning a corner to the south. I missed it because I made robots build everything when testing. Oops.

I know how to fix, but it's a lot to do. The base game looks funny there too (just less jarring) so I'm not sure what route to go with a fix.
options.png
options.png (698.52 KiB) Viewed 9195 times
Reverting to the base game isn't less work that the fixes shown so I might as well do it right. I'm leaning towards fix three because the overlap in two bothers me. Three will have that sharp edge on the bottom when connecting to a corner too but it's probably the least bad option. It's 220 images to edit so I'm gonna take a day to consider, I'm open to hearing opinions.
Last edited by Zombiee on Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

I also think fix 3 is the best of the available options.

I don't know if this is a problem with the pipes or with factorissimo, but there is also another bug that happens with Factorissimo 2's bulk transfer pipes when the connection is pipe on top, then bulk transfer pipe on bottom:
factorissimo transfer pipes.PNG
factorissimo transfer pipes.PNG (41.97 KiB) Viewed 9193 times
The other oddity I just noticed might be a vanilla problem, but since you've been messing with pipe graphics, it might not.

Basically a pipe by itself is much larger than a pipe that is connected to something, both in vertical mode and horizontal mode.
before connection.PNG
before connection.PNG (51.41 KiB) Viewed 9193 times
(also note that the bottom pipe here has a empty endcap, this again might just be a factorisimo bug)
after connection.PNG
after connection.PNG (46.17 KiB) Viewed 9193 times

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Yes and no.

Your first pic is probably going to be a problem, but for factorissimo. The missing is bit from the stone (?) pipe is on me, that will be filled by a cap with the fix. Whether that will draw over or under factorissimo? I don't know yet, we'll see. Either way, it's gonna be an overlap that looks odd. I MIGHT be able to override factorissimo's graphics too, but that's a whole other problem .. maybe.

The second pic is indeed vanilla, I have no idea why but I decided to leave it alone. (Though I include recolors for all the pipes)

Pic 3 is 100% me. Will be fixed with the fix as well. Kind of - it won't look like it's connecting offscreen, it will be a cap. Not ideal but certainly better than the invisible bit it is now.

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports though.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Sorry for another, yay for days off and time to really play.

Looks like the connection to vanilla storage tanks is also weird.
tank connection.PNG
tank connection.PNG (37.19 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
This might also be fixed with your cap changes, but wanted to show another way that specific view of a pipe is behaving badly.

Thanks for taking your time to do these mods. I know there is a great deal of effort involved and it is appreciated.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

iamwyza wrote:connection to vanilla storage tanks is also weird
Damn, that one is going to be an issue. Pumps too probably now that I think about it. For all the entities I spot checked the building covered that area with north pipe connections. My 'fix 3' will look decidedly odd there as well.

I'm REALLY glad you pointed this out before I re-did the pipe images. I'll figure out something.

EDIT - I now know why they did the connections the way they did. My clever idea of splitting the connection point in two so joins would have a nice seam is virtually invisible but creates a 2 pixel oddness when connecting to some buildings from the south. To make the pipes display correctly when connecting from the north I either have to make separate pipe connection graphics for most entities (Angel, Bob and vanilla) OR use some variation of fix 1. Obvious choice.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Have you tried adding in the overlapping part to the lower pipe, but not cutting it out in the upper?

If the game draws everything correctly, this will prevent issues as shown by the "Connecting to a storage tank" issue.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

bobingabout wrote:adding in the overlapping part to the lower pipe, but not cutting it out in the upper
Yup, pretty much my plan now. I tested it pretty thoroughly and I couldn't get the north item to draw on top of the south item. (I had issues with pipes drawing under some of Angel's buildings on a separate issue)

End result is everything should pretty close to how I want it to except the floating image under the cursor. Unless I can modify that separately (which I doubt) it's just something to live with. Tricky portion is making the length of the tail correct or it looks really odd in factorissimo.

In hindsight, I should have tried doing it this way to begin with. C'est la vie.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

To note: I am seriously considering adding these to my mod when they are done. The problem with me actually doing it is that I'm burned out on modding right now, so I've not been doing anything other than bug fixes, or minor things, like the recent god controller patch.
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

bobingabout wrote: I am seriously considering adding these to my mod when they are done.
Higher praise could not be given. Seriously, whether or not you eventually do that makes me feel pretty good.

That said, it makes a lot of sense to wait a bit to see what other little thing I screwed up that makes a big difference before messing with anything.
bobingabout wrote:burned out on modding right now
That feeling I understand completely. If you're not feeling it, forcing it just makes it worse. Don't feel any obligation on my part, I'm spending time (ok, a lot of time) on this because I find it interesting. Actually releasing it to the public was almost an afterthought. That portions of it are decent enough that you might use them is just icing (really really tasty icing).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

That's basically why I stopped modding completely during 0.14 when the news of all these changes to 0.15 were being announced, I knew I'd have a big job updating things to work with 0.15.
Fixing things lasted just about the right length to squeeze in a couple of updates before I reached burn out.
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Success! I added the 1/2 flange width back to all north facing pipes. No one was ever going to notice that issue but me (1 pixel row in low res, 2 in high) but I hated it.

I added iron pipe below the flange in every south facing pipe regardless of type. You should never see it connecting pipe to pipe but the iron blends better when connecting to buildings because any building that intergrates a pipe connection is based around iron pipe. The ghost image when placing has my flange nicely on the north side and is basically vanilla on the south. If that's editable, it's beyond my knowledge.

As for factorissimo. My pipes stick beyond the border on the north and match the edge correctly on the south, it's iron through the walls but both look fine. The bulk pipes used by factorissimo are low res so there is a clash there. Separate issue, but I've added it to my to do list.

TLDR - Basically, all the problems I created by making the pipe connection make sense visually have been fixed. There was much rejoicing.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sounds good.
I also have a Patreon.

iamwyza
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by iamwyza »

Confirmed the changes look amazing. Thanks so much for your time on this. Tedious changes like this would drive me nuts to do.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Is there some sort of package I can download, to add to my archive of possible things to add to my mod?
I also have a Patreon.

Zombiee
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zombiee »

Easiest is just download https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zombiee/ShinyBobGFX The inserters, pipes, underground belts, splitters and transport belts are all full sprite sheets so you can just crack the zip and look at the pngs directly.

I'm not sure you have any interest in the building recolors I did and they're kind of a mixed bag anyway. Some full recolors, some colored overlays, some legacy stuff from the original Shinybob. A couple of buildings I'm just unhappy with the result now that I've learned a little and are on my to-fix list.

If you want something more specific I can certainly throw something together.

Telokis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Telokis »

Hey everyone!

I'd like to know if there are people working on the graphical "update" of bob's modules.

Return to “Bob's mods”