Multiplayer Forum Info

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Multiplayer Forum Info

Post by ssilk »

• The Multiplayer Forum is for people to find a server to play on or friends to play with.
  • For questions about server setup and troubleshooting see the Mulitplayer-wiki and Technical Help instead.
  • There is a foreign language exception for this forum, you can make topics in a non English language if you are looking for players of a specific region.
  • The official factorio discord is: https://discordapp.com/invite/factorio
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiplayer FAQ

Post by Nova »

You should make the link into... a link. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Krummelz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Krummelz »

Ok, so I have a question. When connecting to someone's server; do you have to specify the port if you know that they are using the default port? Or does the game assume the port will be default if none is specified? Also, would this be relevant for LAN and/or Internet play?

NeoForce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NeoForce »

Anyone have xfire?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Krummelz wrote:When connecting to someone's server; do you have to specify the port if you know that they are using the default port?
The game tries a default port. If you and your friend didn't specify a port, than it will work without mentioning a port.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

TheNarwhal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheNarwhal »

Is there a way to control permissions in game, like who can use console commands, and such? Also, is there a way to have separate technologies between players?
Thanks.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

TheNarwhal wrote:Is there a way to control permissions in game, like who can use console commands, and such? Also, is there a way to have separate technologies between players?
Thanks.
Not now. This might come in 0.12.0.

Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Proxy »

one of my friends and i played together factorio... everything worked well... next day we tried to play again but we couldn't connect. we didn't changed everything. so the question is: what went wrong?
p.s. server files, or better IP handling would help.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

What happens if you die during coop MP?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

You lose everything and respawn. Lots of pain if wearing full power armor and stuff...

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

psorek wrote:You lose everything and respawn. Lots of pain if wearing full power armor and stuff...
You lose everything you're carrying, you mean? Or what?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Exactly.

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

Just my two cents but for the headless server wiki:

New entry:
factorio --create mapname
-> Creates a new default map for your server with "mapname" as name (can be used to run the server | no need to upload a map from your computer)

Also for the linux server:
PLEASE! Do not advise people to put programs to "/opt". A software should always be run from a dedicated user. Running from "/opt" would require to run the server as root (which is always a bad idea).

If there is public request i could upload a starting script for linux (written by me) which enables multiversion support, creating maps and starting a server.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Bytenex wrote:PLEASE! Do not advise people to put programs to "/opt". A software should always be run from a dedicated user. Running from "/opt" would require to run the server as root (which is always a bad idea).
Uhm what? I'm pretty sure I can execute binaries in /opt as user.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

prg wrote:
Bytenex wrote:PLEASE! Do not advise people to put programs to "/opt". A software should always be run from a dedicated user. Running from "/opt" would require to run the server as root (which is always a bad idea).
Uhm what? I'm pretty sure I can execute binaries in /opt as user.
You could but "/opt" is a root directory and outside of a protected environment. It would be more secure to run it from a users home directory. But do as you wish :D

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Bytenex wrote:You could but "/opt" is a root directory and outside of a protected environment. It would be more secure to run it from a users home directory. But do as you wish :D
I don't follow. What do you understand by "root directory" and "protected environment"? Does that also mean I shouldn't execute binaries found in /usr? How does having the binary in a place that's actually user-writable increase security?
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

opt.PNG
opt.PNG (2.67 KiB) Viewed 41118 times
Thats what I call a "root directory" and without root you are not able to write to this directory. But maybe I know why we can't find a consens: I worked with servers at the university. So multiuser server is nothing unknown to me. When I try to put up servers I always have in mind that not all users should be able to access the software. "/opt" is an "all-user-access-directory" and therefore not practical. Except when installing the software for everybody. Also using a home directory ensures that you will not need elevated rights to do something. Everything in there is already user-locked.

But I'm totally okay with this entry staying in the wiki if somebody else thinks differently. I was just suggesting a imho more secure server. :)

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Bytenex wrote:Image

Thats what I call a "root directory"
Ah, ok. The world seems to disagree with you though.
Bytenex wrote:and without root you are not able to write to this directory.
Indeed. So put the game there as root, then execute it from there as user.
Bytenex wrote:But maybe I know why we can't find a consens: I worked with servers at the university.
Oh of course. This must be it.
Bytenex wrote:So multiuser server is nothing unknown to me. When I try to put up servers I always have in mind that not all users should be able to access the software. "/opt" is an "all-user-access-directory" and therefore not practical. Except when installing the software for everybody.
Right, so when you share a server with dozens of people who are not supposed to be able to access the game, you don't put it in a world-readable directory. But in such a situation you probably wouldn't have root access anyway. If you're the only one using the server it doesn't matter much where you put the game, I can't see how having it in $HOME would improve security.
Bytenex wrote:Also using a home directory ensures that you will not need elevated rights to do something. Everything in there is already user-locked.
You do not need elevated privileges to execute a binary in /opt. The config and save games can still be written to $HOME.
Bytenex wrote:But I'm totally okay with this entry staying in the wiki if somebody else thinks differently. I was just suggesting a imho more secure server. :)
IMO things would be more secure if user-writable places like /tmp and /home would be mounted noexec, but what do I know...

Bytenex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bytenex »

When using a single user server you are completely right. It doens't matter where to put the files.

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

Bytenex wrote:If there is public request i could upload a starting script for linux (written by me) which enables multiversion support, creating maps and starting a server.
I'm interested in seeing your init script, I'm maintaining one of my own over at https://github.com/Bisa/factorio-init and getting ideas for features etc from others is alays fun - that is if you are willing to release yours with a shareable license ofcoruse :)
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Return to “Multiplayer”