Searching private messages

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Searching private messages

Post by Pi-C »

In the public part of the forum, searching for strings is already possible. I think it would be useful if we also could search the private message folders. Sometimes, I know that I've already discussed a topic with somebody -- but can't remember with whom or when that discussion was. Perhaps that particular point was discussed in a message with a completely unrelated subject: Good luck finding the one particular message in that case! A fulltext search through all messages in a folder or even all messages in all folders could save quite some time and frustration. So I'd really appreciate if this could get implemented. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Searching private messages

Post by eradicator »

I just noticed that there is an export to csv button at the bottom of the private inbox. So you can at least search one page (20 messages?) at a time.
Attachments
export.png
export.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

eradicator wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:46 am
I just noticed that there is an export to csv button at the bottom of the private inbox. So you can at least search one page (20 messages?) at a time.
I've got 25 messages per page. Apart from that, there's the problem of having to open an external program, you can't directly jump to a particular post in the forum. Also, the forum allows you to store 5000 messages (200 pages!) per folder. (Take that with a grain of salt -- it seemed to be that way last time I checked, but perhaps that's a misunderstanding and 5000 messages is the total amount per user.) Only few people will have that many messages, but even if you had just 5 pages, it would be tedious to export them all for searching.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:07 pm
it would be tedious to export them all for searching.
Didn't say it wasn't. But it's still 25 times better than clicking every single message ;).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “This Forum”