Select interface text by default

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

kevmurray
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Select interface text by default

Post by kevmurray »

TL;DR
QOL: When opening an interface with a single (or limited) text fields, select the text for me

What ?
Examples:
- Click an inserter, check "Override stack size", and stack size should be selected. So I can: click & type number & dismiss
- Open logistics inventory and click on an existing item and minimum count should be selected. So I can: click & type min & tab & type max & dismiss
- Click inserter with circuit wire and click the right-hand-side. Iff the value is already a number, then the constant value field should be selected.
- Edit blueprint and click the name edit button and name should be selected.
- (Here's a more controversial one): Open any text field and click on it and the text should be selected (instead of cursor in text)
Why ?
The majority of the time when opening one of these interfaces, the most likely thing I want to do is type a new number or name. Currently, when opening the interface and typing a number, it selects that item from the toolbar. I would argue that that behavior (selecting an item from the toolbar) is a very rare desire, and being able to immediately type a value into the text field is much more desirable.

If I want to change a number, I most likely am willing to type a new number. Right now, if I want to change 100 to 200 I need to position the cursor and select the "1" and type a "2", and selecting the 1 is a very precise operation that requires hitting very small targets. Or I can click and drag the whole "100" (bigger target, but still small). Or I can click at the end and type backspace 3 times and type "200". I would prefer to be able to open the interface, type "200", and close the interface.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Select interface text by default

Post by Koub »

For completeness, there are several existing suggestions that are a little to very related (facilitate input by removing the need for superfluous clicks) :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48203 (same as your suggestion, but just for signals)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43306 (the same again, but was phrased in a way people didn't understand OP XD)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24540 (the same again, only for combinators again, the oldest of its kind I could find).
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89106 (select text fields with [TAB])
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78590 (enter should always confirm)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83461 (on GUIs with tabs, allow switching tab via keyboard)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92172 (add a numeric textfield on speaker volume in addition to slidebar)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

kevmurray
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Select interface text by default

Post by kevmurray »

Thanks for pointing these out (I did search before posting, but i guess I didn't look hard enough, sorry). Anyway, I'm a developer myself and I understand the intricacies of making seemingly "simple" changes - sounds like this is already on your radar, so that's all I can ask for.

I'm a 50 year old mechanical engineer and software developer, and this is, by far, the best game created since Lode Runner and Lemmings. I never thought I would put 2,000 hours into another video game in my lifetime, but here I am and still going strong. Slainte and thank you!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”