Replay Saving on Headless

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

blueblue
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Replay Saving on Headless

Post by blueblue »

I'd like to create a save with replay enabled using headless. I'm unable to do this with the --create command line parameter as there is no documented way to enable replay saving.

We're playing multiplayer speedruns and due to performance/network reasons headless seems to be best way for us to play the game. A replay really helps with analysis so we would like to keep it enabled. The only way for us to have a replay is to create a save in non headless with replay enabled and host that save on headless, but this doesn't work for speedruns because the timer starts on the first frame of the game.
unique_2 on discord and mod portal

j_matya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Replay Saving on Headless

Post by j_matya »

Came here for the same topic: would like to record a headless linux ds for a multiplayer session and enable later analysis while creating the map on CLI.
Unfortunately this option is not exposed when creating the map save on command line, and speedruning rules demand starting the game from "the first frame" (then the spaceship crashlands), so pre-creating the save on a full-client is not a real option :(

Not sure if it would be possible to add a new CLI option allow recording on maps created on cli?

Similar related to:

chaoswolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by chaoswolf »

To run a server with replay enabled you need to use the GUI. I tried several things and only using the GUI worked. See 110694
I would propose an additional command line parameter like

Code: Select all

--enable-replay
if the headless binary should continue to ignore the

Code: Select all

check-enable-replay-checkbox=true
setting from the config.ini.

xPedion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xPedion »

Hi,

i really need this feature.
Please provide an option to enable replay on a headless server.

Background:
Last year i started hosting multiple Factorio servers with a high player count.
Currently i'm also hosting Factorio for a massive multiplayer speedrun group with regular runs and close to 100 players.
Last month we even had a run with close to 700 people, which was also hosted by me.

Since we need the replay feature for the speedruns, i have to run the full-client on a remote server.
It works but has a lot of downsides and is far from optimal.

If you would provide such an option, i could automate the whole speedrun process and create a setup which is far more stable and reliable.
This would have a positive impact for a huge number of players.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”