Option to disable (game-)sounds in menu

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Meredy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Option to disable (game-)sounds in menu

Post by Meredy »

TL;DR
if the game is opened in the background on the menu, it will constantly make all kind of sometimes annoying sound. there should be an option to turn it off

What ?
When the game is open on the main menu, we got this cool new feature of seeing scenes of the game while nothing happens. This however plays sounds all the time. I could not find an option to get rid of the sounds.

There are several options how to solve this issue. I list the ones i can think off:
- mute all sounds in the menu when the game is not the focused window (i play borderless fullscreen in case that makes a difference)
- make an option to change volume of things in menu (currently it seems to take the simulation volume, but i think this also applies to ingame simulations like tips, which is why i think turning this off should not be the solution here)
- make on option to turn off sound effects in the menu
- stop starting new simulations while factorio is in background
Why ?
Because background sounds can be irritating and can cause employers and collegues to ask unwanted questions.

Have a great day!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Option to disable (game-)sounds in menu

Post by Deadlock989 »

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
I mean, you might quibble that the average punter has no idea what "simulations" refers to, but it's there.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Thanks Deadlock989. Guess I can move this to implemented then.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Really? Implemented?

To quote the OP:
Meredy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:44 pm
- make an option to change volume of things in menu (currently it seems to take the simulation volume, but i think this also applies to ingame simulations like tips, which is why i think turning this off should not be the solution here)
Referencing something the OP knows about hardly counts as "implemented".

But in any case:
Meredy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Because background sounds can be irritating and can cause employers and collegues to ask unwanted questions.
And we don't ask unwanted questions?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Yeah sorry, that's the problem when trying do things too quickly, I failed to read thoroughly OP.
However, why even stay on the main menu with the game is in background for extended periods of time and complain about the menu having unmutable sounds when quitting the game is just a click away ?

That being said, I'm not sure playing Factorio at work and complaining that colleagues might hear the main menu sounds while the game is in background is really common in Factorio's playerbase. Probably not for a long time before getting fired, so that menu sounds won't be a problem any more I guess :roll:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Thanks, the sounds are annoying when tweaking settings, selecting/updating mods, or just updating the game itself.
I had to find the setting through this thread, for some reason I was looking for a mute button on the main menu.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”