Windows Headless Server Autoupdater (I made it, I'm not asking for it)

Enhance your gameplay with these tools. This category is also the right place for tools useful for modders.
Mod databases, calculators, cheatsheets, multiplayer, scripts, libs and other useful stuff that is not strictly in-game mods.
Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Windows Headless Server Autoupdater (I made it, I'm not asking for it)

Post by Jon8RFC »

Wanted to share what I made for myself. There isn't a plug&play solution. A little setup legwork is required, so don't expect the ideal solution...this is the only solution I know of though, and I did hours of troubleshooting already.

It uses narc0tiq's python-based updater I found, and I made a batch file with lots of checks and balances to have it run autonomously when you've setup a task in Windows.

If you have python, you're already most of the way there.
Don't let the enormous readme intimidate you. I'm verbose and prefer to share all information so that others are informed. I'm no expert though.
Hopefully one other Windows user finds it handy, even though it's not as quick as unzip and run. It'll be great for taking care of my server I run to game with my nephews. I can not play for a week, miss updates, and it won't matter anymore.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... LbBX1Is6cc

EDIT 2020-05-21
Latest has an adjustment since, as of 0.18.23 (I think), it seems to take more than 10 seconds for Factorio to close after updating (it used to be about 5 seconds). So, now, it'll just wait until it closes so that the server is restarted properly.
Last edited by Jon8RFC on Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Windows Headless Server Autoupdater (I made it, I'm not asking for it)

Post by Jon8RFC »

Works well in a real-world scenario. It received the 0.18.20 and 0.18.21 updates earlier in the day, automatically, and I just connected to my server from my 0.18.21 client without having to touch the server.

Attached is the log from my autoupdater. It checks for updates every 5 minutes (timestamps are Central Daylight Time, which is currently GMT-5).
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you'll see the 0.18.20 update, scroll a little more and there's the 0.18.21 update.
Attachments
update_log.txt
(38.06 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Return to “Tools”