[1.1.46] Pumps not fast-replaceable with pipes and vice-versa

Bugs that are actually features.
SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.46] Pumps not fast-replaceable with pipes and vice-versa

Post by SophieFitz »

I've noticed that the regular pumps are not able to fast-replace 2 pipes, despite pump's entity prototype 'fast_replaceable_group' property being set to 'pipe'. A single pipe also can't replace a pump.

Could this be because the entities (pipe and pump) are 2 separate lengths and therefore can't fast-replace eachother?

I doubt this is a feature as if it were, the 'fast_replaceable_group' property wouldn't be set for pumps.

Here's a demo of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/5DXbe3Frrsk

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.46] Pumps not fast-replaceable with pipes and vice-versa

Post by Silari »

Quite possibly that's a holdover from when pumps used to be 1x1. They got changed to 2x1 in 0.15. Keeping it there doesn't change anything in vanilla, but removing it might be a problem if any mods have a 2x1 pipe and expect them to be swappable.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Or a 1x1 pump.

Can you test if a pump can replace 1 pipe? Splitters are 1x2 and can replace one transport belt but not 2.

SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SophieFitz »

Yes I just tested that and no it doesn't work.
mrvn wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:35 pm
Or a 1x1 pump.

Can you test if a pump can replace 1 pipe? Splitters are 1x2 and can replace one transport belt but not 2.
I'm not asking for it to be removed, precisely the opposite!! I want it implemented fully! It's so inconvenient having to remove the pipes to place the pump.
Silari wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:06 pm
Quite possibly that's a holdover from when pumps used to be 1x1. They got changed to 2x1 in 0.15. Keeping it there doesn't change anything in vanilla, but removing it might be a problem if any mods have a 2x1 pipe and expect them to be swappable.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Didn't there used to be an start-up error if fast-replaceable entities weren't the same size? (or close) I see the problem as it can replace the first entity, but collides with another. Even if it "could" replace the other one, it is an exception that *might* only work with pipes (a big assembler probably should not fast-replace a dozen little ones, etc)
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Honktown wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Didn't there used to be an start-up error if fast-replaceable entities weren't the same size? (or close) I see the problem as it can replace the first entity, but collides with another. Even if it "could" replace the other one, it is an exception that *might* only work with pipes (a big assembler probably should not fast-replace a dozen little ones, etc)
AFAIK, fast-replaceable hasn't ever had any checks. You might be thinking of next_upgrade which does require the bounding box, collision box, and fast replaceable group to be the same.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't think there is any bug here. Maybe some left overs. The pump used to be 1x1 and so would be fast-replicable with pipes. These days it isn't and so isn't. Maybe we could remove the group from them but I don't think it would be something we do in 1.1.x due to compatibility concerns. Maybe i'm wrong.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SophieFitz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SophieFitz »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 am
Thanks for the report however I don't think there is any bug here. Maybe some left overs. The pump used to be 1x1 and so would be fast-replicable with pipes. These days it isn't and so isn't. Maybe we could remove the group from them but I don't think it would be something we do in 1.1.x due to compatibility concerns. Maybe i'm wrong.
Okay that's cool. I may make a post in suggestions for this to be implemented as it would be really helpful to fast replace pumps.

Return to “Not a bug”