Allow to place railroad signals near each other.

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Evilko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Allow to place railroad signals near each other.

Post by Evilko »

Currently i'm playing with railroads setups and can't get what is the difference for gameplay is to place signals near each other or 1 tile separated as now?
Game engine, pathfinding, etc. limitations? Or there is another meaning for that?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Allow to place railroad signals near each other.

Post by boskid »

Rails are generally placed on a 2x2 grid and every rail (except diagonal) has exactly 4 places for a signal to be placed (2 exit signals and 2 entrance signals).
Signals are cutting rail segments into smaller ones but those cuts are never made in the middle of the rail. Rail always belongs to only one rail segment. Exit signal is when the rail segment is cut after the signal and entrance signal is when rail is cut before the signal.

Left is entrance signal, right is exit signal
94982.png
94982.png (115.95 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
If 2 rail signals could be placed next to each other, depending on the exact position both rail signals could be indeed useful (would cut the same rail but on opposite ends) or they could be just around the same rail connection and both signals would be essentially doing the same work. First case maybe could be useful in some tight intersections but second case is completly useless and would only lead to confusion and bug reports. Because of that, rail signals next to each other are not allowed.
94982-b.png
94982-b.png (158.55 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

Evilko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Evilko »

For example my situation. Typical chunk sized junction with straight road after.
2021-01-26_1.jpg
2021-01-26_1.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Would be cool if i could upgrade straight road into junction later, but now i can't because of incompatible signal placement.

1. They are two different rails, so there is no cuting rail into two segments in the middle.
2. So what if signals are do the same work? Like 2 signals with 1 tile between them not doing the same. You can't even place perpendicular road there to allow another train to use this tiny segment. Pretty useless too in my view.
3. There will be no confusion if people know this rule "no half rail segments" (as i know it now :D just didn't noted it before). Yeah, signals will do just the one work - separate segment in-between them with no new road segments. Again, so what? More possibilities to change roads with BP without removing something.
4. About new bug reports can't say anything...

PS. sorry if it sounded a bit rude, not native english, hard to choose words)

Evilko
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Evilko »

Up)
Maybe you'll change your decision :D

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Nope.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”