RSO for 0.17

Replaces resource spawning system, so that the distances between resources are much bigger. Railway is needed then.

Moderators: orzelek, Dark

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: RSO for 0.17

Post by Molay »

I'll try turning off the collision detection for now and see how that goes. I appreciate there may be lots of work involved with such a feature, so no worries if you don't feel like spending the effort for a low-request feature.

Thanks either way! ;)

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Just updated to the latest version and noticed the newly spawned biters are far too densely packed which is causing some pathing issues. It looks amusing though.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I think that mod request to fix this was implemented. I just need to remember to go and try to use it :D
Hmm actually it wasn't.. it was modified then moved to Won't implement. So it will remain as is for now.

Edit:
On the other hand looking at this while less asleep... it looks strange. It seems like it's more dense then collision boxes should allow. Are you using any mods that modify collision boxes?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

With new version that uses separate collision checks for biter bases and worms above issue should be fixed. Assuming other mods won't edit the special map gen collision box;)

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

Hi!

I was playing around with RSO to compare maps for a new MP map and I got horrible lag spikes when using the console to reveal the map.

Then I tested on a new map, without cheats, and walking up to the first patch I found caused again lag spikes.

It looks like the generation of chunks takes double/triple digit milliseconds of main thread time.

PS: testing it with Alien Biomes makes the lag spikes so much worse...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zyrconia wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:49 am
Hi!

I was playing around with RSO to compare maps for a new MP map and I got horrible lag spikes when using the console to reveal the map.

Then I tested on a new map, without cheats, and walking up to the first patch I found caused again lag spikes.

It looks like the generation of chunks takes double/triple digit milliseconds of main thread time.

Generating big ore patches will do that especially when you are exploring map quickly or use command to do that.
And Alien Biomes make actual map generation slower which adds to that since when big ore patch is generated it can trigger generation of few additional chunks of map to place it on.

I went through few ideas of how to make this process more granular and do it over time but nothing concrete yet to implement.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

orzelek wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:03 pm
Zyrconia wrote:
Hi!

Generating big ore patches will do that especially when you are exploring map quickly or use command to do that.
And Alien Biomes make actual map generation slower which adds to that since when big ore patch is generated it can trigger generation of few additional chunks of map to place it on.

I went through few ideas of how to make this process more granular and do it over time but nothing concrete yet to implement.
Thanks for the info!

But the weird thing is that I've been using RSO and the largest patches for a long time now, but this is my first 0.17 base and the lag is something new.

Anyway, I guess you can live with it.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Zyrconia wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 am
orzelek wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:03 pm
Zyrconia wrote:
Hi!

Thanks for the info!

But the weird thing is that I've been using RSO and the largest patches for a long time now, but this is my first 0.17 base and the lag is something new.

Anyway, I guess you can live with it.
Please send/attach a save. If it seems new and wasn't happening earlier it might be something strange or a bug. I did actually improve biter bases recently but ore gen was not changed.

Termak
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Termak »

Any ETA for fix on the resource amount imbalace while playing with Angels mods.
Angels natural gas (also fissures) have 100times better yields than oilpatches.
I even tried with everything else disabled besides AB and RSO, with everything on default settings.
Starting oil is 200% (from 2 patches), nearby small oilpatches start with 200% and increase towards 2000%.
Starting gas is 30000% (from 2 patches), and nearby gasfields are 50000%-250000%. While having similar amounts of patches for pumpjacks.
Same insanely large yield percentages on the Angel's fissures, while having similar small amounts of actual spots for the fissure pumps.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Termak wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:15 am
Any ETA for fix on the resource amount imbalace while playing with Angels mods.
Angels natural gas (also fissures) have 100times better yields than oilpatches.
I even tried with everything else disabled besides AB and RSO, with everything on default settings.
Starting oil is 200% (from 2 patches), nearby small oilpatches start with 200% and increase towards 2000%.
Starting gas is 30000% (from 2 patches), and nearby gasfields are 50000%-250000%. While having similar amounts of patches for pumpjacks.
Same insanely large yield percentages on the Angel's fissures, while having similar small amounts of actual spots for the fissure pumps.
Angel did not comment on this - I'll try to contact him directly. I can fix up worst offenders by using prototype data but I'm not sure why the discrepancy exists in first place. I don't think it was like that when resources were added.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Hey, I was wondering, since I have jsut started a save and haven ot had the cvhance to feel it yet, do biters expand if I have deathworld-marathon preset + rso?
I dont want to realise it too late into the game :)
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

aka13 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm
Hey, I was wondering, since I have jsut started a save and haven ot had the cvhance to feel it yet, do biters expand if I have deathworld-marathon preset + rso?
I dont want to realise it too late into the game :)
RSO doesn't change biter expansion setting. So if preset has it enabled they will.
Deathworld might be easier with RSO unless you disable RSO biter generation and enable vanilla one.

nailertn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nailertn »

I have a map that I would like to keep the layout of but get RSO to rearrange the resource patches - respawn them with a new seed basically - because they spawned in a very awkward pattern. I've tried /rso-regenerate and /c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true) neither of which seemed to do much of anything. I'm not really familiar with Factorio modding but if I'm reading control.lua right the true parameter in the remote call should make RSO use a new seed. Is that some leftover code from an old version or should it still work? (I don't know if it should make a difference but I tried the RSO commands both before and after revealing the patches I want to reroll.)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

nailertn wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 pm
I have a map that I would like to keep the layout of but get RSO to rearrange the resource patches - respawn them with a new seed basically - because they spawned in a very awkward pattern. I've tried /rso-regenerate and /c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true) neither of which seemed to do much of anything. I'm not really familiar with Factorio modding but if I'm reading control.lua right the true parameter in the remote call should make RSO use a new seed. Is that some leftover code from an old version or should it still work? (I don't know if it should make a difference but I tried the RSO commands both before and after revealing the patches I want to reroll.)
Resetting the seed is not implemented after the multi surface changes. I'm not sure how to do it if/when another surface is added but I could make it go and reset seed of every surface thats present. It would give identical effect to previous way of using the command.

nailertn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by nailertn »

orzelek wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:06 am
Resetting the seed is not implemented after the multi surface changes. I'm not sure how to do it if/when another surface is added but I could make it go and reset seed of every surface thats present. It would give identical effect to previous way of using the command.
I got around the issue by just modifying control.lua temporarily but I imagine I'm not the only one looking for such functionality so re-implementing it at some point might be worth considering.

Return to “Resource Spawner Overhaul”