Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!) ☸

These are only lists of links to other suggestions!
First, do a search for if your idea has been already suggested.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

How annoying is beeing killed by the train for you? How much are you annoyed to care for the train?

1 Want more. You have to look like in real life and this is really fun. :)
23%
2 Keep it the same. This is fun when the train comes deadly close and I have the autosave.
42%
3 Want some help. I think it's unfair to be killed without warning. (e. g. signals before crossing rails)
25%
4 Don't want to die. I really don't like it as it is now, cause I loose up to two minutes of the game.
3%
5 Train should halt for me. For me the biters are enough. Train needs to be save! :(
4%
6 I never played with trains or haven't been killed by train yet. (you can change opinion)
2%

Total votes: 248

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!)

Post by n9103 »

Visual signals are already in-game, yet apparently ignored enough that this is a topic worth bothering the devs with.
Why would an auditory signal be any different?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

What visual signals are there?
The rail signals are not that easy to see, and a train sometimes reserves a signal from very _very_ far away, so it's not really useful in determining whether a train is close or not.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

So, you're the kind that goes around the crossing gates when a train signal activates, if you can't see the train?
I'm interested in trying to avert Darwin Award winners.
The only people that have a legitimate claim about the signals being difficult to see would be the colorblind, since the colors are relatively close in contrast.
The rest either are too lazy too look a bit harder, or have neglected to place enough signals to ensure a smooth trainflow in the first place. (~1/screen while zoomed out halfway)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

No, I don't. But if a signal would go red an hour before a train crosses I might just look and decide for myself!

Nondre
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nondre »

Gates. They are the best canary.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

The problem with just placing a signal, is that you don't want too many signals inside a train station
LordFedora wrote:TBH, it's like that living by just one rail line, if there where multiple trains going past my house...

The ton of horns would be fine, if it wasn't a "near player" but a different signal that i could place, that made a noise (really, the TRAIN made the noise, but who's gunna tell :P)
sillyfly wrote:How about having a simple whistle post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistle_post), like a signal, only cheaper, and whenever a train rolls by it (and the player is close enough) it will sound a horn. That way every player can use it however they wish.
I for one may like to put some around places I usually cross :)
(T_T)

Night_Ange1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Night_Ange1 »

sillyfly wrote:No, I don't. But if a signal would go red an hour before a train crosses I might just look and decide for myself!
Signals only go red with the train in the block, yellow if the train has claimed the block but not entered and green if no train is in or will be in the block. Red is only of the train is in the block.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Yeah, I meant yellow :) Sorry.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

sillyfly wrote:How about having a simple whistle post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistle_post), like a signal, only cheaper, and whenever a train rolls by it (and the player is close enough) it will sound a horn. That way every player can use it however they wish.
I for one may like to put some around places I usually cross :)
Would be easy to implement.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SNORKOFOB
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SNORKOFOB »

I was killed by train once. Kinda frustrating. After that I already had 6 power shields type 2. And it was "whatever". With it I can stop train whenever I want.
Яussian inseяteя.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'd just like to be able to build Bridges to let me walk above the Rails to cross them. Quick and simple low-tech solution, doesn't involve signals or anything electronic, just a bunch of Stone or Brick, and a little Iron or at worst Steel.

edit: Oh, and I'd want to be able to drive over the Bridge to, at least using a Car. Maybe not a Tank. I think at that point it becomes somewhat unrealistic to build a cheap Bridge that can support the mass of a Tank. But perhaps two Bridges, one cheap Bridge for walkers only, and another more expensive Bridge that can support the mass (and width) of a Car.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Bridges OVER something are not as easy as that, because the aspect view angle of Factorio will then hide more ore less important things behind the bridge.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

make it so the tone of the whistle post can be modified and we could make musical railways :)

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

I'm maybe wrong but is it not the point of orange signal? I never get killed by a train so far personnally, quite easy to zoom out or check the map
signals
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

suggestionsummary

Post by ssilk »

Userstory: Some players wants a better "visibility" of incoming fast trains, to avoid collision with character and die.
Prerequisites: Complete.
Game-value: Low.
Developer-costs: Rail signal -> Circuit network -> Lights or Horn. Or: Train warns with acoustic signal, if player is in the way... see more options in the thread.
User-opinions: Most like the current way.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Can the player be killed by train? (Train kills?!) ☸

Post by Neotix »

I think it could be achieved by adding that when player is on the track he occupied block and signals become red. Horns are not the solution because some players can play with music in the background and don't hear game sounds.

__________Signal__________Player__________Signal__________<- TRAIN__________

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Neotix wrote:some players can play with music in the background and don't hear game sounds.
I can understand that argument, if someone is deaf or so, but I really have problems, if someone switches of warning sounds in a game.

I know, bad comparison follows, but I belong to those people, which turn off the warning sounds of the parking-sensors... but I know what I do. If I know a car, I can park in with it to 1/2 cm (1/4 inch). And I never came to the idea to play radio so loud, that I could not hear signal horns or ambulance, or even biker, crying out loud, cause I drove them off. :) As said, bad comparison.

But if you turn of that sounds in a game, well, bad luck. Cause I'm relatively sure, that we will become some device, that can create some kind of warning-sound. :)
__________Signal__________Player__________Signal__________<- TRAIN__________
Sorry, but I think this will look really ugly. But perhaps in the ALT-view?

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train horns!

Post by Cordylus »

Moved, cause very good implementation detail example.

When I was playing the Half Life 2 I noticed that Combine's "razor trains" are very similar to the Factorio trains. They are black, fast, also automated and squash everything on their way. There is only one big difference: in HL2 they have very loud horn. It's impossible to miss them.

Let's see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDc0OTM8AQg
It's natural on the railways that train has warning sounds. Not in the Factorio.

There was the topic about the possibilities of the train approaching signals. Why not locomotive horn?

They should work like in the attached scheme. Around the rail track before approaching train should be generated invisible "horn use areas". When the player enter it - the train honks. That's all. Of course before the fast trains areas should be longer.

It would be very simple, elegant and climatic solution for the trains killing people. :)
Attachments
Bez tytułu.png
Bez tytułu.png (53.21 KiB) Viewed 9890 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I moved it here, cause it's a good description. See concerns against this in every situation some pages before!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

What if player mute sounds in game because he want to listen to music while playing? He should be forced to enable sounds or he lose game functionality?
Of course train horn could be nice addition but not solution. The solution should be based on game mechanics.
We can stop trains by using signals, why not use them to stop train when player is on track? Then safe passage will depend on where player put that signals and where he want to cross the tracks.
Basically if signal is between player and train, the train will stop, if not, the player will be smashed. So the player will be able to improve setups, add signals there, where he cross tracks the most often.

Return to “Frequently Suggested / Link Collections”