Odd Number Of Belts

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Odd Number Of Belts

Post by azoundria »

I've noticed quite a few times when you queue up items and then cancel them, there are still some items left, such as odd belts. I was reading another bug that was resolved about the complexities, such as 37.5 iron plates per lab, versus 39 if you are making the first lab, for example.

I think the simplest and easiest solution that can get rid of all the headache and complexity is to have the recipe require either 4 or 6 belts, not 5. And do something like this for any recipe that requires an item crafted or smelted in sets of 2. It's mainly just belts, I think.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Odd Number Of Belts

Post by SilverWarior »

The reason why this happens is that for crafting certain item you need second item so crafting of that second item is automatically added to the crafting que. But becouse some of the crafting recipies create more than one item it means that even if you need only one second item factiorio will craft more than one becouse of its recipie.
So wehn you cancel order for first item order for second might still remain.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This change is reasonable in some cases (4/6 transport belt for lab instead of 5), but in some other it would break some kind of balance.
The example is circuit, made out of 3 wires, 3 wires for one copper plate.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The same wired stuff happens in reality also more than often. For example you order desks. The desc contains out of a plate and 4 stands. But the stands can be ordered only in packs of 5...

Another example: I needed a new battery for my clock. I just wanted to buy one, then I saw, that the set of 10 is only 2 times expensive than one.

With such things I mean that for example the modules will become cheap. That's just small, little tricks, but many of them make it worth thinking about.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

For the lab I changed the requirement to 4, to avoid confusion in the start of the game.
But I still find it good, that you need 3 cables for circuit and you get 2 cables from one copper. I think, that having all recipes to be so "round" would make it more dull.

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

I think the problem is a false problem, it exists only because of two things :
  1. The player can "chain-craft" any item by autocrafting any sub-item required in the final recipe.
  2. The crafting window shows the raw resources required for each item.
Take that out, and you can set any amount of ingredients for any recipe and it's fine.

The player crafting could be redone, like, for example, you can't directly craft transport belts, you need to craft gears first.
BUT, the manual crafting doesn't require time, it's always instant. Only the assembling machines require time to assemble the items.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”