[0.7.2] Random Items In Requester Chests

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.7.2] Random Items In Requester Chests

Post by azoundria »

I have noticed in a few places that random items have been deposited in some of the requester chests.

It's always a multiple of 4, and usually a very small number. They're all items that I have at one point requested. My theory is that when logistic robots have no requests for the item they are carrying, they drop it in the nearest requester chest. This would make sense, since they couldn't just stand around with the item.

If that theory is correct, then perhaps it's not a bug, and instead a suggestion, to put the items in a nearby Supply Chest instead, since they can be picked up again from there by another logistic robot in the future. If they go in a Requester Chest, they are doomed to remain there until a player picks them up manually, which could clog up the system if given enough time.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.7.2] Random Items In Requester Chests

Post by kovarex »

This never happened to me and it certainly shouldn't happen.
When the robot is pending(it's target disappeared or became full etc), it tries to put the result in correct target chest, it should never put something to request chest with different filters.

Do you have some setup/save where it happends?

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

I've been seeing this sometimes too. I kept finding odd items on the belts (copper ore on my boilers coal belts, iron ore in my copper smelters, etc.).
I cleaned all the odd items out of the requester chests and watched the system work for a while. I use the logistics robots to unload trains and the bug would happen when a fully-loaded train would come in and unload with only partial storage available. The logistics robots would empty the train stations Provider chests, fly to the last storage chests available and empty what they could but there would be a few robots still holding some cargo. They would just hover there with the cargo until the next train arrived, then the robots would dump their cargo in the nearest requester chest (regardless of requester settings) and run off to unload the Providers with the rest of the bots.

I solved it by adding more storage chests but I'll load up the save and see if I can get it to happen again for you.
to put the items in a nearby Supply Chest instead, since they can be picked up again from there by another logistic robot in the future.
Dropping them in the nearest Provider chest might still lead to chaos if the Provider is behind a Smart inserter with a filer like in my factory though. Might be best if they just returned the items to the provider chest where they picked them up initially, or even held the items permanently until room in storage opened up.

Edit:
Extinction.zip
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 157 times
Got it! Ok, when you load the game this is what you should see.
Hit 'alt' and watch the Requester chests highlighted in the picture. They only request Copper Ore but the logistics bots flying around will come by in a few seconds and dump some Coal and Stone into them. The culprit group of bots has been zipping between (mostly full) storage chests for 10 seconds now; stuck with cargo and nowhere to drop it.

P.S. The save was just over 3mb compressed so I had to use 'ultra high' compression to get it below the 3mb forum limit (it's a huge end-game save). Let me know if you have trouble extracting it and I'll upload a normal compression zip somewhere else.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Thank you for the save, it helped us to find the mistake (really stupid one in this case).
It is fixed for 0.7.5 now.

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

Glad I could help. Factorio is a big, complex game; it's amazing that there aren't more bugs and the few that do slip through are so rare and hard to pin down.
As always, much appreciation for the bug-mashing hard work. :D

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”