[0.8.3] => [0.8.5] Automatic update

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.8.3] => [0.8.5] Automatic update

Post by FreeER »

malokin wrote:Releasing the update files as executable
You realize that if the update happened to be just the bits that should change at certain offsets of the previous version that the update then failing would probably make trying to reapply that same update impossible (due to different offsets, even using AoB). Now I've no idea if that IS how it's implemented, I've never looked tbh, but if that's the case or something similar then having access to the update files does nothing for you. As to the logger, if it IS the updater itself messing up due to something being changed in rare circumstances (not interrupted) then the logger would help with that, and even it it isn't, a log isn't a horrible idea :) Should the outside interruptions be true (which does seem somewhat likely to me) then a logger might also be able to tell exactly where and how to prevent that, for instance, a popup saying it failed and ask for reversing privileges at the least so that you can continue with the previous version.

edit: though it would seem to me that the simplest method would be to backup the files before modification/replacement, then if the next launch (configurable? for bug reasons) is successful then they can be removed.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

Derp, if you created the exe to patch only affect those offsets, then reapplying the update would re-write all the area that were corrupted during the failed update.

But like i said, if the updates are such a trade secret, move the updater to a separate exe because putting the "re-install update" button inside the game's main exe makes absolutly no logical sense and doesnt help anyone except those that break their exe in a special way where it still runs, a rare occurrence. You guys have to read the posts thru, I havnt been talking about releasing the files on the site for awhile because the devs want to keep updates so hush hush.
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Just to make sure, the update works as binary diff, so corrupted file can no longer be updated. This is the reason why the update files contain CRC checksums to make sure that everything is in the expected state.

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

I'm glad, and I'm glad for the update button inside the exe too. But you keep assuming that you cant give me an exe that is corrupted like before, and I'm reticent to believe you because while the CRC will stop hard drive style bit "corruptions" but thats not what i meant by corruptions. I dont understand how that will stop installation errors caused by the OS and software inside the operating environment.

I guess its just my style to assume my coding isnt perfect and to give people the ability to apply and reapply their own updates for convienance and troubleshooting purposes.
Since i have you now kovarex, ( :twisted: MWAHAHA) why dont you want update executable style? Is it development time it would take for past versions? Fuck past versions, your still beta anyhow. I'm aware of how the update looks for changes and only gets the necessary files, very much like linux software package libraries deal with dependencies. Very high tech bro, but if you botch my exe again to the point it wont run, then your just pretending to yourself that you fixed the bug with checksums and loggers.

Edit: what i'm trying to say is even with your checksums your only fixing half the problem. It is completely possible that a file will pass the checksum test and still not be unable to run the game. How is your logger going to figure out if antivirus has put the Factorio exe into quarantine mode? There are tons more examples that involve some trickery with each different OS that can cause this that dont involve people's AV software, thats why its kind of nice to have update options. Your forcing me into an update system that is highly advanced sure, but has given me enough botched exes that i dont mind calling it "broken"
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

... so this bug got a little stale... Updater is now more careful for some time (since 0.9.something, I think), 0.10.0 will have an explicit update now button, so moving this to resolved.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”