[0.9.8] Crash at startup "expected object or array"

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
o037
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.8] Crash at startup "expected object or array"

Post by o037 »

Just got the game the other day. It ran perfectly fine for the 8 or so hours I played it. Tried to start it up today and it briefly shows the loading screen before crashing showing this error:

C:/Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\mods\mod-list.json(1): expected object or array

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit, 4 gigs of RAM, not sure where to find VRAM, resolution is 1600 x 900

I would appreciate any help, please let me know if this has been seen before (I searched for 10 minutes or so but couldn't find it) or if I there's any more info I can give. Thank you.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Crash at startup "expected object or array"

Post by drs9999 »

Hm I can remember that I read something similar a short time ago, but cannot find it anymore.

You can try to delete the file (mod-list.json) and start factorio again.
It should recreate the file, hopefully correct this time ;)

o037
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by o037 »

I ended up uninstalling it, then deleting all files I could find associated with it (except my save) then reinstalling it. This ended up fixing it, but as drs9999 said I probably just needed to delete that one file, in case I or anyone else has that problem.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello,
It happend to several people already (the file got corrupted for some reason, it is saved during start/exit, so something could happen).

So we changed it, that if there is problem while loading the file, it is just discarded and default values are loaded instead.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”