[0.10.0] Slow game with compatibility settings checked.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
kovibear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.10.0] Slow game with compatibility settings checked.

Post by kovibear »

I personally run two SSD in Raid-0 and my New Map creation in 0.9.8 took a matter of seconds, and if it was a Sandbox mode, I could zoom around the map and chunks loaded instantly.. however, now in 0.10.0, New Map creation takes a solid 15-30 seconds, and in Sandbox, I can quickly bog down the game by darting around the map while the chunks struggle to load. There have been times where the map/minimap didn't even update (with old chunks within minimap range) for upwards of 30 seconds while I stared at empty ground texture.

Also, another minor potential bug, though not necessarily worth of its own post.. the exe no longer seems to honor "disable desktop composition" in its settings. I wasn't even aware of that being possible to enforce in that direction. The game runs at a noticeably slower pace with desktop composition on with my multi-monitor setup, so I've been having to do it manually.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.10.0] Is it just me, or did chunk loadtimes skyrocket

Post by kovarex »

It is strange, as the map generation speed is the same as before for me. What is your system specs? (Mainly the CPU cores count)

Edit: The map generation method had been changed, the generation is done in parallel thread and is limited. I personally call it a feature, as the map generation, unlike in 0.9.8 doesn't lag the gameplay.

But the time it takes to start the game is the same when I compare 0.9.8 vs 0.10.0 (6.5 vs 7 seconds)

kovibear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kovibear »

I have an i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz, so the CPU isn't the issue. I dunno what is causing it, then.. since I can hop back and forth between two separate installs and 0.9.8 is a matter of seconds, and 0.10.0 is a matter of "any day, now". I suppose that I can try to play around with affinity settings and such and see if I can get back to previous behavior, but I figured it wasn't just me given that not much else had seemed to be effected, and I'd reinstalled a few times just for the sake of trying it.

Oh well.. might just be me, then.. but I can't seem to find a reason why it would be. :(

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Do you still have 60fps when exploring new areas ingame? Can you press F5 to see the time statistics and make an screenshot while new parts of map are generated?

kovibear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kovibear »

Edit: disregard some of the below. Apparently with only Disable Desktop Composition checked, performance is fine and normal.. evidently I had also checked to run in Windows 7 compatability mode. I might've been trying to force the Desktop Composition to be disabled by doing that, which also didn't work, and forgot about it. It's shocking how much of a performance hit that gave. However, still strange that the Disable Desktop Composition setting isn't being honored by the exe.

Alright, so some interesting finds. It seems as though me having left Disable Desktop Composition (and no other compatability settings checked) despite it now doing nothing with the 0.10.0 exe may have been causing the issue.

I confirmed with a timer that my 0.9.8 creation times were 3-4 seconds. My 0.10.0 times were 29-32 seconds. However, after unchecking the disable desktop composition, my 0.10.0 times match my 0.9.8 times. That is a strange effect, to say the least.

I did confirm that I run at 60 fps at all times, though.. but if I panned back while Disable Desktop Composition was checked, the framerate would actually stutter down to ~30 a bit while hovering within' view of any chunks actually beginning to load-in and render. However, once I had unchecked Disable Desktop Composition, that too went away, and I ran 60 constant, regardless of chunk loading state or visibility.

In any case, I did take a screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/Og0pgVm.png) of the minimap and chunks not being loaded. For that method, I was simply creating a Sandbox world, zooming all the way out, and quickly panning a minimap distance away. I imagine the chunk loading optimization only goes so far, though, and wouldn't necessarily expect those to be instant, I only mentioned it because it was not the case in 0.9.8. Even with them now behaving "identical" for world creation, I can zoom around the world as far back and quickly as I want in 0.9.8 and every single chunk will keep up with me without so much as a stutter, but in 0.10.0 I have to wait for them. Obviously, this isn't an issue for 99.9% of players' experiences, so if you say the changes made improve the experience for the far more practical situations, I'd agree that it's better now, though I personally never experienced any issues with slowdowns in 0.9.8 during gameplay and chunk loading.

Either way, strange stuff was happening. Happy to know it was just me and my particular setup, though, and not affecting more people. It seems odd that disabling Desktop Composition via the compatibility settings is suddenly not working in 0.10.0 and further somehow causing these issues. Even more strangely when I disable it manually while the game is running, the game still runs normally.

kovibear
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kovibear »

May as well delete this thread, I suppose, since it likely won't be of any help to anyone. I feel silly having wasted time with what was essentially a small oversight. :oops:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello,
we updated our graphics library (allegro) between 0.9.8 and 0.10.0 to new version, so it could have effect on the restrictions of the options, I can start a thread about this there.

And yes, if you had i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz, you probably didn't see slowdowns when you moved around, but for lot of the players the game was stopped when new parts of the map was generated, me included. So the generation was put into another thread and the count of chunks generated per second limited. The reason is, that for determinism (replays, multiplayer), all players need to generate map at the exact same speed so they have the same world. This basically means limiting the count of map generation tasks to be smooth on the computer we consider the lowest suitable for Factorio.

But as it was resolved in a way, I'm moving this to resolved bug, and I also renamed the header, so maybe someone who finds it can use it :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”