[0.17.14] Opening Train Stop GUI locks up game

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Hoefnix
Inserter
Inserter

[0.17.14] Opening Train Stop GUI locks up game

Post by Hoefnix »

What did I do?

I clicked on a train stop to open its GUI.

What happened?

The GUI window appeared but the game locked up. The screen was stuck on that one frame and the game no longer responded to inputs. Factorio still used 28% CPU, which on my quadcore is one core maxed so the main thread must have been running flat out. Had to use task manager to kill the game.

What did I expect to happen?

The train stop GUI window to open and the game to keep running.

Important extra information

I tested around a bit and this didn't happen on every train stop, only the ones on my main train line that have 270 trains going to them. I suspect the GUI doesn't like that many trains. I reduced it to 250 trains and it still happened.
I also loaded the same save without smarter trains and placed a vanilla train stop, named it to a stop on the schedule of those trains, opened GUI and same thing happened.
I was streaming when it happened, the first time OBS didn't even capture the GUI opening, though I did see it on my screen. Link to vod: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/397524294?t=01h30m40s

mods on save: RSO, FARL, Smarter Trains and Bit Smelting

Log file included, save on request, it's kinda 76 MBish
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.14] Opening Train Stop GUI locks up game

Post by TruePikachu »

Can you reproduce the bug and, when the game locks up, right-click it in the task manager, create a dump file, and upload it here?

Hoefnix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hoefnix »

I'm trying to recreate it in a fresh save, I have nowhere to upload a 4GB dump file to.

Edit 1: A screenshot with detailed info showing GUI update is just shooting up. In a fresh save I found that 250 trains on manual mode is not the problem, a lot of trains with a lot of stops on their list is an issue though, I haven't gotten it to lock up yet, but GUI update already goes up to 30 ms time used with 30 trains with 50 stations, while on my map I have 270 trains with about 300 stops each.

Edit 2: Found that the big map kinda comes back when I wait long enough, but has a GUI update of 600 ms and thus 1.4 UPS. It locks up again when I move my mouse over the GUI.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Okay, so it isn't a lockup, it's a really-long-running computation in the GUI. You can delete the dump, if you so please.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Can you share the save, please? Probably through dropbox or https://wetransfer.com/

Hoefnix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hoefnix »

link to download: https://we.tl/t-4xj3FelwkY

Either load the save with "Smarter Trains" or place a new trainstop and name it to one on the schedule of one of the 2-8-2 trains in the stacker. "##Rocket Steel Drop" is the one I've been using so far.

Hoefnix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hoefnix »

Is there any news on this? It's been a while now and I still can't update most of my base to 0.17 since I can't use the train stops.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you upload the save again? It was deleted off the website. I'll store it locally so we can work on it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Here's a save for me as well. What I notice is:
- It slows down a tiny bit when you open the train GUI, but if you don't move the mouse it recovers.
- As long as I move the mouse the game is frozen. Once I stop moving I have to wait 5~ secs for it to catch up, it then remains unfrozen till I move the mouse again.

Save has mods, but none that should modify trains in any way. It'll probably load without mods but the factory won't do much.
Save is from 0.17.17 as I haven't updated yet. Hopefully that's not a problem.
(Re-compressed as 7z so it's small enough to attach. Adding log for system info.)
Attachments
Base 2 -- 0.17.17-5.7z
(13.19 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
factorio-current.log
(13.24 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
GregMod_1.0.1.zip
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This was fixed in one of the latest releases.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”