[0.11.16] [Gameplay][cube] OMG Fockin' trees.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.11.16] [Gameplay][cube] OMG Fockin' trees.

Post by ofca »

Collisions with trees/other objects are more or less broken. This is especially absurd when driving a tank, which can be stopped even at high speed by some trees. Also even on foot navigating a forest is a painful experience.

Zemerson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.16] [Gameplay] OMG Fockin' trees.

Post by Zemerson »

Trees are supposed to be nuisance, there are many ways of getting rid of them quickly. 2 grenades will take care of a large amount of trees, once you have upgraded armor piercing bullets you can kill the trees, or use capsules once you research them.

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

I know how to remove trees and I obviously agree that deforesting land before the build is clearly a gameplay concept that's supposed to be in game. I'm merely pointing that collisions are a problem -- I'm not advocating removing trees or modifying ways of removing them :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I think this is more a feature request than a bug report..

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think also, but we already have more or less that thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=8637

I think the thing with the tank is another point.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

PaulV
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PaulV »

I think the problem with the tank (or car) is that the behavior for braking is a bit wonky. The idea is that if you press and hold the backward key while going forward, you will make a full stop instead of stopping and then accelerating backwards. Which is nice in theory, but the way it's implemented makes it so that if you are stopped by a collision, both the forward and backward keys are ignored until you release both and then press and hold them again.

A tank should easily plow through small biters with ease, but because the engine essentially shuts off every time you are stopped it won't. You can see this as when you start basically button mashing the forward key, you will get through more biters than when you hold the forward key down. (Same goes for trees and buildings, I reckon.)

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

Nope, breaking isn't in the picture. There's something funny, either with approach angle or with some kind of tree. It happened to me many times, that speeding tank was stopped to 0km/h instantly by a tree that took 0 damage. That's really my main problem. As to the general way trees works now, some tree models should not act as a brick wall, but should give a speed penalty. It's just plain wrong if I can easily see a path between trees with my own eyes, yet can't pass in any way.

Albrat
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Albrat »

ofca wrote:Nope, breaking isn't in the picture. There's something funny, either with approach angle or with some kind of tree. It happened to me many times, that speeding tank was stopped to 0km/h instantly by a tree that took 0 damage. That's really my main problem. As to the general way trees works now, some tree models should not act as a brick wall, but should give a speed penalty. It's just plain wrong if I can easily see a path between trees with my own eyes, yet can't pass in any way.
I can confirm that this has happened with me. the Tank travelling at full speed hit a tree and came to a dead stop. The tree took no damage. Repeated hits on the tree also gave the tree no damage. I had to manually chop the tree down to get past it.

Geonosis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Geonosis »

I also experienced this a few times

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Allright,

the tank insta-stopping while hitting some trees IS imo a bug
and the tank's engine stopping when it hits anything is undesirable as well.
But the original report is about something else and "not a bug"

Please report the above two separately if not reported already.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

MF- wrote:Allright,

the tank insta-stopping while hitting some trees IS imo a bug
and the tank's engine stopping when it hits anything is undesirable as well.
But the original report is about something else and "not a bug"

Please report the above two separately if not reported already.
It is on cube's todo list already :)

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

Well, the whole thread is about trees and the trees are broken. If Kovarex and others will talk about trees and how to make them better on one or two subway rides, then my job here will be done :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.16] [Gameplay][cube] OMG Fockin' trees.

Post by kovarex »

The problem with tank stopping at 0 speed with motor shot down (it switched to breaking when it crashed to something) is solved for 0.11.17

The problem, that when tank is rotating, it doesn't give any damage, so rotating tank can be stopped by anything is added to our internal issue list.

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.11.16] [Gameplay][cube] OMG Fockin' trees.

Post by Martc »

Here is the save with broken tree which cannot be destroyed by tank. I am not sure when this exactly happend, I think it was shortly after autosave. It is the red health tree in front of the tank.
Attachments
tree.zip
(5.54 MiB) Downloaded 81 times

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”