[0.11.20] [cube] Dropping MP while joining.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Leveller
Inserter
Inserter

[0.11.20] [cube] Dropping MP while joining.

Post by Leveller »

So, MP game, a few mods, nothing major.

When a player join me and i start sending my 18mb file it takes too long and he drops from "not responding". (its around 4mb compressed in my savefolder)

My upload is 3mbit (around 300kb/sec) And it gets around 16-17mb sent just before finished he drops out.

Thinkable solutions:
1: The the save in its COMPRESSED state
2: Make sure the clients have contact while sending the savegame.

Akhiros
Inserter
Inserter

Re: .20 Dropping MP while joining.

Post by Akhiros »

If I might add to this, I'm the other player. Leveller and I were playing a game where we were the only two people, then I hit a lag-spike, got disconnected and was unable to rejoin. When I'd try to join a game hosted by him, I would get about halfway through the download before the player-not-responding bar would appear. Then, the two bars (download and not-responding) would race eachother to the end, the not-responding bar would win, and I'd be kicked with the map download progress at about 80% and climbing. This was frustrating because the supposed reason for my disconnect was that Leveller wasn't responding, despite the map download from him steadily progressing. It'd be awesome if the not-responding bar would trigger download throttling or be disabled altogether for anybody uploading/downloading maps. Again, thank you for doubling the MP drop threshold, though (if possible) going further in that direction would be helpful.

If it's of any interest, my speed to Stockholm (near where Leveller lives) is 2mbps down and 0.9mbps up with 210ms ping. My ping to Leveller is 240ms and I was downloading the map at a rate of about 50kbyes/sec (0.4mbps). We were initially able to play Factorio MP together just fine.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Leveller wrote:So, MP game, a few mods, nothing major.
Actually it is a major thing. You should prolly tell us which mods/versions you are using and if you have patched it yourself, or if you created any of those mods.

Leveller
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Leveller »

Ok mod:

Blueprint-string 0.0.9
CompactPower 0.1.0
FactorioMaps 0.4.1
FARL 0.2.8
Larger Inventory 1.0.0
Peacemod 0.1.0
Titan 1.0.2
UpgradableAccumulators 1.0.6

Those. Just a few additional buildings.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I need more info to reproduce the problem.
  • The save game
  • The mods folder.
It would be also nice, if you tried to minimise the amount of mods that causes this (try to remove some of the mods and find out if it still desynces).

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.20] [kovarex] Dropping MP while joining.

Post by quinor »

I was the dropped player; for me it looked like delay was set on too low. Though data transmission was fine we constantly waited for each other and game just thought that I don't respond and dropped me. We played succesfully before and after that and I think it was problem with lagspike on Leveller poor internet connection (he said it happens sometimes).

Our locations are Poland and Sweden, so it should be not much more than a thousand kilometers apart.

If I'm right, maybye game in that situation should suggest that delay is set on too low?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Just to make it clear, does it ever happen when you have no mods? Is it mod related?

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

We haven't tried it with no mods. Now Leveller is absent for about a week so we won't be able to try soon. But it very much doesn't look like mod-related thing.

Leveller
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.11.20] [cube] Dropping MP while joining.

Post by Leveller »

I work on a boat. Will be home tuesday Night. CET.

SvenDee
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SvenDee »

sounds like the bug we had in our game in 11.19. we dont had this problem in 11.20. but we have many desyncs related to mods( in our case it was the outdated filteredsplitters(smartsplitter 0.0.4 that causes desyncs).
with the base mod only we didnt had any desync in 10min playing. with lots of mods rolling desync every 30 seconds.

but your problem is another one. did the client ( joining player ) crash into a grey factorio background screen?
If not, updating mods, delete outdated mods can help.

Akhiros
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Akhiros »

If it helps with reproducibility, I've also had this problem when in a completely vanilla game with Sekkmer, and Twinsen tried to connect to me from the Wube office. Twinsen would get dropped while downloading the map. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was 0.11.20 or 0.11.21.

Tr1cKy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tr1cKy »

I'm seeing a similar issue - but we'vee done some troubleshooting and analysis of the network traffic while it happens. My gaming buddy is a Systems Administrator and I'm a Network Engineer at an ISP. We're currently using 0.11.21.

I have a MikroTik router in place at my house. The game uploads slowly and increases its speed until it reaches the maximum allowed speed. Then, even though it is clearly still uploading, it says that "The following peers are not responding" - and drops him from my game. We can play on any new game - and smaller savegames work fine - but the bigger the savegame the higher the chance that we can't connect on the first attempt. After multiple attempts we might get into the game and never have issues thereafter.

Presently we have a savegame of 21MB that we cannot continue at all due to this issue affecting us. We have made about 20 attempts (he says 1000. lol) this evening so far.

When looking at the MikroTik, it seems that Factorio is not doing any throttling of its connections - and any packet loss results in exponential issues with the "quality" of the connection. If the MikroTik detects that a service is doing too much traffic (if I've set up an appropriate queue), it attempts to throttle connections by hanging on to packets for a short while and then transmitting them as soon as enough bandwidth is available. If its "packet queue" gets too large, then it starts dropping excess packets. The end-result for a normal service is that it should automatically throttle its connection speed and maintain a reliable (albeit slower) connection. The only case where this speed is intentionally ignored is in a DoS attack. ;-)

My line speed is 2Mb up and 20Mb down. I set the limit to 1.5Mb up for all gaming. If I increase the packet queue size to 20000 (from the 2000 it used to be on), it takes longer to get dropped but it still happens. If I disable all queues and limits, the exact same situation occurs - except that he is dropped shortly after the upload speed reaches my linespeed maximum.

Hopefully this is related - and hopefully it gives some insight into the issue.
And lo He said: "Bring unto Me the
Book of Blueprints
!"

Tr1cKy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tr1cKy »

We've noticed that shortly before the game disconnects, there is a huge spike in upload bandwidth that is far beyond either of our line speeds.

The attachment is a photo taken by my buddy shortly before we got disconnected while I was downloading from him. Bear in mind his Internet line has an upload capacity of 1Mbps and a download capacity of 4Mbps. Since I'm downloading the game from him it should stick to or near the maximum output of his line or the maximum input of my line, whichever is lower (my line is 20Mb/2Mb), The game is clearly ignoring network norms.

Note that the attached screenshot shows 150kBps for Factorio. 196.210.117-... is my IP address.
Attachments
upload-screenshot.png
upload-screenshot.png (842.22 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
And lo He said: "Bring unto Me the
Book of Blueprints
!"

Ledjlale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ledjlale »

On 0.11.22, I have the same issue without any mods : when I host, my game freeze while uploading the savegame (8Mo) (I upload at 400 kB/s). I removed the replay.dat from the file (4Mo) but it doesn't work, the other player was "dropped from the game" while downloading. I tested to set latency at higher value too, without success.
We could play together more than 5hours from a fresh start (version 0.11.22) in one-run just before. This bug appears at the first load.

I test to connect to a host and I take this screenshot (in attachment). Note that 9.2kB/s was just before the disconnection appears, I downloaded at 90kB and more before.
Attachments
Just before "all other peers left/were disconnect. The map can't be downloaded." message
Just before "all other peers left/were disconnect. The map can't be downloaded." message
factorioMulti.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 8593 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There has been a lot of multiplayer logic changes and fixes since 0.12. So I'm moving this to resolved bugs, please make a new thread (with the possible link to this one if the problem is the same). If it still happens in 0.12

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

(kovarex closed this a little prematurely, but now the core of the problem should be really fixed for 0.12.7)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”