[1.1.5] [GUI] [Translate] Interface translation elements do not take into account the context of the movement direction

Discuss translation contributions here.
akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.5] [GUI] [Translate] Interface translation elements do not take into account the context of the movement direction

Post by akapulko »

In Russian (maybe in others too), the description of the direction depends on the context (at the entrance and exit of the "black box").

To correctly translate these interface elements into Russian, you need to split gui-splitter: left into two objects - gui-splitter-in: left and gui-splitter-out: left.
Similarly, you need to split gui-splitter: right into two objects - gui-splitter-in: right and gui-splitter-out: right
Attachments
20201205041710_1-i.jpg
20201205041710_1-i.jpg (462.45 KiB) Viewed 3417 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.5] [GUI] [Translate] Interface translation elements do not take into account the context of the movement direct

Post by Klonan »

I don't really understand what you mean, but we aren't doing to change the GUI layout

In English the words are Left and Right, If the Russian translation uses something context sensitive then I would suggest other words

akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] [GUI] [Translate] Interface translation elements do not take into account the context of the movement direct

Post by akapulko »

To offer a different translation of directions, depending on the `entrance` and `exit`, you need the corresponding fields in the GUI interface. And you only have `gui-splitter:left` and `gui-splitter:right`.

If in English the meaning of the values `gui-splitter-in:left` and `gui-splitter-out:left` is the same, then in Russian (and possibly in others languages too) it is different.
Last edited by akapulko on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Klonan wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:47 pm
I don't really understand what you mean, but we aren't doing to change the GUI layout
I don't know any Russian but my interpretation of @OP is that he just wants the left/right strings split into two variants. Not change the gui layout. As far as i understand he's saying that Russian doesn't have a word for "left" only for "to left" and "from left", which can't be differenciated with just one string.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

The words next to the checkbox should be "input" or "output." The words on either side of the switch should be "left" or "right." Beyond that I'm not sure what is being asked for here, unless left/right don't mean the same thing in the context of input/output... but again, those are specified next to the checkbox... :?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

akapulko wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:12 pm
If in English the meaning of the values `gui-splitter-in:left` and `gui-splitter-out:left` is the same, then in Russian (and possibly in others languages too) it is different.
Do I understand correctly that you would like to use "слева" / "справа" for the input and "налево" / "направо" for the output?
That would indeed only be possible if the game would split the internal string "gui-splitter:left" – so you can translate "gui-splitter:left-in" differently from "gui-splitter:left-out" rather than requiring you to use the same word for both input and output.
Klonan wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:47 pm
[…] but we aren't doing to change the GUI layout

In English the words are Left and Right, If the Russian translation uses something context sensitive then I would suggest other words
As far as I can see, Russian does not have a way of expressing "left" and "right" in an entirely context-independent way.
And no, this change would not imply a change of GUI layout since this meaning does not depend on rotation. This would entail only additional strings.
Most languages can safely use the same word "left" for both input and output.
Last edited by valneq on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akapulko
Inserter
Inserter

Post by akapulko »

Do I understand correctly that you would like to use "слева" / "справа" for the input and "налево" / "направо" for the output?
Yes.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

Two suggestions (assuming the developers don't add any more strings):
  1. Change it to "левая сторона" and "правая сторона" ("left side" and "right side").
  2. Change the filter string to some variation of "приоритетная сторона входа\выхода" and then the strings can simply be правая \ левая with no issue.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Return to “Translations”