Factorio Lab

Calculate optimal ratios for feeding recipes, search through the research-tree, specialized tools to view game-information.
ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio Lab

Post by ilbJanissary »

I am proud to announce the release of Factorio Lab!

Simple 1K SPM!

Factorio Lab is intended to build on the features of the Kirk McDonald Factorio calculator. While the general UI is intended to be similar to the Kirk McDonald calculator, the source code was written from the ground up using TypeScript and Angular.

Features!
  • Comparable item picker to in-game
  • Choose rates by belts, train wagons, items, or factories
  • Choose infinite research products to see number of labs required (and total science output as well as consumption)
  • Override default belt, factory, modules, or beacons for specific steps
  • State is zipped and persisted to URL
  • Modules are not applied to drills by default (but can be via settings)
  • Oil/Uranium calculations use different method but same result as Kirk McDonald
  • Most common features of Kirk McDonald calculator
Please try it out and, if there are more missing features from the Kirk McDonald calculator, check out the GitHub repository and thumbs-up the issues I've created for known missing features, planned extra features, or create new issues with your ideas!

hhrhhr
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Factorio Lab

Post by hhrhhr »

Cool! The ability to selectively select an assembly machine class is really great.

There are a few comments:
  • What about energy consumption?
  • Сan you make a "compiled" version of the site to run locally WITHOUT NodeJS, Angular, and so on?
  • How do you get the source data from the game (/src/assets/0-18.json)? I would like to be able to modify this file according to my version of the game.
  • For some reason, at least in Electric mining drill and in Electric furnace I can’t use all the possible modules:
    no speed modules

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

What about energy consumption?
Leaving out energy consumption was a conscious decision. I did create this issue to track the request when I made the decision, but essentially, since beacons, inserters, roboports, etc. are inherently not accounted for in this kind of calculator, energy calculations would be incomplete. If people find the Kirk McDonald calculations helpful I'll consider adding it in at some point, at least it would give you a starting point.
Сan you make a "compiled" version of the site to run locally WITHOUT NodeJS, Angular, and so on?
Hey, something I can actually answer! The compiled source code is at https://github.com/factoriolab/factoriolab.github.io. This is the live site that is actually published and live. Any time I update the site, the compiled source code will also be updated. You can download the compiled source from that site and open index.html.
How do you get the source data from the game (/src/assets/0-18.json)? I would like to be able to modify this file according to my version of the game.
For now, this is done manually :oops:
I wrote up this issue to build a file scraper so that it'd be simple to modify the file for mods.
For some reason, at least in Electric mining drill and in Electric furnace I can’t use all the possible modules:
This goes back to the conscious decision to leave out power consumption. Since efficiency modules only affect power calculations, there was no reason to include them in the app at this point. If/when I ever implement power calculations, adding efficiency modules back in would be the easy part. :D

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Very cool. It seems really self-explanatory and easy-to-use.

One thing: Would it be possible to indent the various levels of items?

ilbJanissary
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ilbJanissary »

Would it be possible to indent the various levels of items?
This would be complicated the way this calculator works today, since the same item could be indented different ways (e.g. gears required for red science vs gears required for space science). I did get a request on reddit to actually make those separate steps, e.g. to never combine steps and always keep them separate. If the app were structured that way, indenting would definitely be helpful, so I'll keep this in mind, I'll probably write up a full issue for this later.

salbris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by salbris »

Awesome work!

Just wanted to reach out and offer some help if you ever decide to try to incorporate mod data into the tool. I'm helping to develop Foreman at the moment and I could certainly help you get mod data integrated like we have!

hhrhhr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hhrhhr »

Hello. I continue to work on "file scraper" and the first results are ready: https://github.com/factoriolab/factorio ... -633694865

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

Favourited - thanks!

Return to “Cheatsheets / Calculators / Viewers”