All Science Pack Production Facilities

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

All Science Pack Production Facilities

Post by terraflare »

I wanted to cramp all these facilities into one place. I have prepared a huge place, and so far everything seems going exactly to plan.

Until I started calculating the materials needed for this 3 productions.
1) I want to create each science pack every one second.
2) Sci Pack 1, 2 and Military Pack is ignored due to its light material consumption rate, while Space Pack is also ignored since it's not technically "produced"
3) My bus contains materials as follows:
a) Copper Plate = 4 belt
b) Iron Plate = 4 belt
c) Plastic = 4 belt
d) Steel Plate = 4 belt
e) Green Circuit = 4 belt
f) Red Circuit = 2 belt
g) Iron Cog = 1 belt
h) Pipe = 1 belt

Okay, so 8 bus, 3 science packs, sounds easy right? Well yeah, everything is easy except the GREEN CIRCUIT count.

Mathematics goes as follows (bear with me) *Note: everything is considered 1.0 Crafting speed, so assembler machine's speed is not really counted here
1 SciPack3 cost (from the belt directly):
- 5 Green Circuit
- 10 Iron Plates
- 0.5 Copper Plate
- 6 Cogs
- 2 Pipe
- 1 Steel Plate
- 2 Plastic
at the rate of 12 seconds each.
I want SciPack3 to come out every one second, so I make 12 of it.
Since I'm making 12 of it, I'll be needing 12 times everything right? Well, no
Because the materials needed to feed 12 machines are crafted faster than the three main component of SciPack3 (EMDrill, Red Circuit, Engine), so I have to adjust the amount of factory needed to assemble these three to produce each material every one second.
And that leaves me with:
- 18 Green Circuit
- 20 Iron Plates
- 3 Copper Plates
- 20 Pipes
- 10 Cogs
- 10 Steel Plates
- 12 Plastics

If you have gotten the gist, I have calculated all the materials needed to output these three every one second. Everything is going fine, except the green circuit. It stands at a whooping 564 green circuits per SECOND. Considering its crafting time of 0.5s and crafting speed of AM1 of 0.5, that makes it 1 second per craft of every machine. It means I will be needing 564 green circuits streaming every second if I want to keep my SciPack production up.

Am I doing my math right? I have no trouble of the materials needed for green circuit production, but the place is the issue. Having a factory area of 564 green circuits is not exactly small. For the people with megabases, do you produce this much green circuit? May I take a look at the screenshot of your green circuit production site?
It's the belt that I'm worried about. I do not quite get the calculation of the materials being transported per second, but I have experienced the factories at the end starving for materials because everything is just exhausted midway. I have only unlocked the fast belt (red one), and I used 2 red belts to of copper to feed the green circuit production. Is there any magic number for this? Or should I just keep expanding the factory and see the point where it starves for material?

Sorry for the long post :)
I am looking to work under somebody, read about it more here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=46904

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: All Science Pack Production Facilities

Post by t-lor »

tbh i cant follow your reasoning :

blue science needs red chip, mine, engine
theres 3 green circutis in a mine. 2 in a adv circuit and 0 in a engine, thats 5 total per science pack
if u want 1 pack a second. thats 5 green per second, how do u get to 600 from that :?

Note that a lot of recipes also take 15-30 sec, so how many labs are u running ?

and it sounds like your only just starting. 1 pack a second does require a rather large base. :)
It might be a bit ambitious,certainly with the military bottles gobbling up iron per trainload.

And for your info, a red belt can transport something like 20 items a second, a little more if you start doing trickery to compress it.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

t-lor wrote: blue science needs red chip, mine, engine
theres 3 green circutis in a mine. 2 in a adv circuit and 0 in a engine, thats 5 total per science pack
if u want 1 pack a second. thats 5 green per second, how do u get to 600 from that :?
No, 5 green per scipack3, and it needs 12 seconds to craft one. But I want one SciPack3 to be on the output every second, which makes, of course, 12 SciPack3 per 12 seconds, which makes it, 12 Assembling Machines working on SciPack3.
But, do I need 12 (amount of SciPack3) times 5 (amount needed for each SciPack3) to come out every second? Well, no, because it does not need green circuit directly, but it needs EMDrill and red circuit, which in turn, requires green circuits. Doing a rather simple math, the number 18 green circuits needed per second came up.
Of course, this does not compute the travel time from the site of the manufacturing, belt travels and etc. It is just a rough calculation.

564 is the figure I got from counting to craft ALL science packs, which include the Hi-Tech Pack, the devil, which requires up to
- 1 blue circuit per second (10 blue circuit manufacture, 10 x 20 green circuit per second)
- 1 Speed module per second (15 speed module manufacture, 5 x 15 red circuit -> 2 x 5 x 15 green circuit, and 5 x 15 green circuit)

This Hi-Tec Alone requires 425 green circuit to be fed each second
t-lor wrote: Note that a lot of recipes also take 15-30 sec, so how many labs are u running ?
For now, 20. But should I expand my labs, I would rather not keep my labs starved for materials
t-lor wrote: and it sounds like your only just starting. 1 pack a second does require a rather large base. :)
It might be a bit ambitious,certainly with the military bottles gobbling up iron per trainload.

And for your info, a red belt can transport something like 20 items a second, a little more if you start doing trickery to compress it.
This save that I am playing on is already 27 hours long, I'm playing on sandbox, and I skipped the first few hours by obtaining starting items prompted by the game.
20 items per second is not nearly enough. As we are speaking my base is gulping copper plates to make those green circuits like a freaking japanese tsunami drainage system

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

If you have one science pack 3 assembler running, it would consume (via mining drill and red circuit) 5 green circuits every twelve seconds. therefore, if you had twelve science pack 3 assemblers running, it would consume 5 green circuits every 1 second.

the travel time can be ignored as that is just an initial delay as the belt fills up.

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

iceman_1212 wrote:If you have one science pack 3 assembler running, it would consume (via mining drill and red circuit) 5 green circuits every twelve seconds. therefore, if you had twelve science pack 3 assemblers running, it would consume 5 green circuits every 1 second.

the travel time can be ignored as that is just an initial delay as the belt fills up.
This :)
you are miscalculating. If your goal is 1 bottle a second, then Craft time has no influce on items needed per second, only on the amount of assemblers u need.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Try fixing your formula.
Resources per Second
Number of Machines * Ingredient quantity per Craft / 60 seconds for per second = Required Ingredient /s

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

Shokubai wrote:Try fixing your formula.
Resources per Second
Number of Machines * Ingredient quantity per Craft / 60 seconds for per second = Required Ingredient /s
Erm you are making a simple thing complicated :P
Required ingredients per second = ingredients of 1 pack. no need to complicate that :)
Only note that for the higher recipes, it actually produces 2 bottles per recipe, so then that would be half the recipe cost.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

t-lor wrote:
Shokubai wrote:Try fixing your formula.
Resources per Second
Erm you are making a simple thing complicated :P
Required ingredients per second = ingredients of 1 pack. no need to complicate that :)
Only note that for the higher recipes, it actually produces 2 bottles per recipe, so then that would be half the recipe cost.
only if your already at 1 pack per second. Any other number and your simple version is wrong.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

*facepalm* yeah turns out that I do not need that many green circuits per second. I keep multiplying it by the number of assemblers needed, without calculating the crafting time of the material itself.

Thanks a lot for the help. Been busy these days so I have not yet updated my factory.

Return to “Gameplay Help”