Campaign questions - New Hope L3

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Pach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Campaign questions - New Hope L3

Post by Pach »

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Any feedback from devs/community to point me in the correct direction would be much appreciated: I thank any who replies in advance!

I just picked up Factorio (which I'm enjoying so far), and I dug around in Steam, the Wiki, and the forums here, and I can't really find information for the specific campaigns (or I may not be looking in the correct places in all the above?), and I'm having some trouble with a specific one.

I've read in a few places that only the first 2 parts of "New Hope" are done... is that still true, and the rest is just a "shell" campaign, and why I'm having troubles, and I should just skip it and go right to freeplay at this point, as I did the tutorial and first 2 parts of New Hope?

I've gotten to the "New Hope" Campaign, Level 03, where you are trying to get the to the computer. I managed (after many restarts and frustrations with figuring out exactly some of the mechanics and what I was supposed to do, without getting my poor little buggy blown up in 30 seconds) to blow up the "small" outpost in the "north central" part of the map. I killed the outpost, but my next directive is "there are no resources here; build a specialized base". But there's absolutely no clue as to what said base is supposed to do? Is this just "a place I can retreat behind a lot of turrets and repair?" A place to make more ammo? (that will run out fast, with no resources). A research facility?

Can someone drop me a clue what, exactly, my "goal" is supposed to be here? I'd hate to start building say, a nice turret fortification, and then discover I need to make some sort of specialized ammo....? or a place to do research?

Things in this part of the campaign that led to my questions/frustrations (which may relate to "this part of the campaign may not be finished yet"? or may give someone a clue where my troubles lie, or even feedback on making this part better...):

"north central" led me to believe it was "up" from me on the map where I started, as I had no idea where I was on the map as a whole. Turns out I'm in the northwest corner of the map, and it was just to the right of me. Much buggy damage and frustration trying to find my target. A quest map indicator on the minimap would have helped. :(

Driving the buggy with WASD keys is incredibly difficult, as the keys are "relative to how the buggy faces", not relative to the map on the rest of the board. This may be a gaming standard (or an engine standard: I ran into the same issue in another game? ), but it's incredibly difficult to drive any vehicle this way, especially in combat. Any tips from more experienced gamers most welcome on this... :(

The repair items should be on the starting hotkey, with the grenades for this scenario. Or perhaps it's the fact I have great aim for hitting trees?

The arrow indicator for the "destroy the biter outpost" is flashing on the shipwreck, so I threw my grenades there, not on the actual biter nest. While I did actually finally destroy the nest, I had to make extra grenades to do it, because I wasn't going for the correct target. The flashing arrow should first indicate what you need to destroy, not the shipwreck, as I was mystified why I hadn't "killed" it yet, until I finally destroyed the rest of the nest, and was able to click on it and see what it was. You cannot get close enough to do this until the nest is destroyed without being attacked by waves of biters, so I had no idea that was NOT my proper target until the battle was all over (if any of that makes sense?). Once I did it was a D'OH moment...

Any replies to help me get past this one much appreciated...

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Campaign questions - New Hope L3

Post by Serenity »

You're still on 0.16. The part where you rebuild the destroyed factory is very cool but the rest is unfortunately very combat heavy.

If you go to the Steam Beta tab and change to 0.17 you'll get the start of the reworked campaign. It's very different, but still a work in progress. It's not perfect, but it does make an attempt to explain more things and act more as a tutorial

Driving takes practice. I don't have much of an issue with the directions, but you hit trees and rocks very easily. If you missed a rock somewhere the car helps you find it :p

Pach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pach »

Ah, so in the most recent update, the tutorial got more love, but it's a "beta" version?

I can swap to that and try again (although I'm tempted just to go flat out into "just play the game and see what you can build" mode.... :lol: )

Thank you, Serentiy, for the prompt response!

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

It's almost ready for a full release, but there is still a few bugs. 1-2 weeks maybe. Still, compared to other games Factorio has long been very stable and things get fixed very quickly.

But yeah, you can also start freeplay

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Pach wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:22 pm
Ah, so in the most recent update, the tutorial got more love, but it's a "beta" version?
FWIW, the entire game gets that treatment at each step, and will do at least until release. Probably well beyond, too, but ... the point of the experimental versions is exactly to change things up and make them better. In addition to the tutorial a bunch of UI stuff, the oil processing technology progression, and other stuff got improved. Once 0.18 launches, relatively soon since 0.17 is on the path to stable in the near future, it'll do the next set of big changes.

Pach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pach »

Thanks, slippycheeze.

I'm familiar with beta/stable process (I actually like playing Early Access games... silly me!). I just wasn't aware that the tutorial had a major uplift in the new version (as the whole game is new to me), which is why I was having so much trouble with it!

I did swap to .17, got through the (very nice!) tutorial in short order, and started a Freestyle game...

...and I'm still having fun with it, although I have the bad(?) habit of smashing the biter nests as soon as I see they are anywhere near range to my factory, which effectively stops attacks. :twisted: :roll:

From reading the wiki on evolution, I may pay for this later. :P But I found that charging in and dropping about a dozen defensive bots as I go in with my machine gun blazing will pretty much wipe out the nest in very short order... :o :D :lol:

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You only have to kill the nests in your pollution cloud. Anything more just delays their expansion parties reaching your cloud. And yeah, destroying spawners drives up evolution, which may be bad if you play slow. On the other hand once you get to big biters it takes a long time for more evolution to matter much

Pach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pach »

I haven't figured out how to tell how big the pollution cloud is yet.

I've been using a certain (eyeball) radius from anything I have (which was based off of "they are coming from this direction, is there a nest out here? yes, there is... *kill nest*")

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Pach wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm
I haven't figured out how to tell how big the pollution cloud is yet... *kill nest*")
Go into map mode! There are a couple of helpful overlays (pollution, electrical network, turret coverage, logistic coverage) that you can toggle.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pach
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pach »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Pach wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm
I haven't figured out how to tell how big the pollution cloud is yet... *kill nest*")
Go into map mode! There are a couple of helpful overlays (pollution, electrical network, turret coverage, logistic coverage) that you can toggle.
Oooooh! I used the map a lot, but didn't catch the overlays!

(my guesses as to how far out to kill the nests was "about" right, looks like... now I can be more targetted in my slaughtering....)

Thanks Pi-C!

Return to “Gameplay Help”