Logistic Networks!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Logistic Networks!

Post by katyal »

What I do is have green smart inserters taking stuff out of assemblers and placing it in purple active provider chests. I limit how many items I produce by setting the green inserter's logistics condition. Then I create an area with yellow storage chests. If I need anything I request it and bots bring it to me. This way there is a buffer of items stored in the assembler, if you would rather avoid that then feed the assembler with green inserters and set their logistics condition... production will stop once the condition is met.

The chests I use the least often are the red passive providers...haven't really found a use for them yet

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

katyal wrote:What I do is have green smart inserters taking stuff out of assemblers and placing it in purple active provider chests. I limit how many items I produce by setting the green inserter's logistics condition. Then I create an area with yellow storage chests. If I need anything I request it and bots bring it to me. This way there is a buffer of items stored in the assembler, if you would rather avoid that then feed the assembler with green inserters and set their logistics condition... production will stop once the condition is met.

The chests I use the least often are the red passive providers...haven't really found a use for them yet
My tactic is a complete opposite then.
I use pretty exclusively passive chests. And almost no yellow chests - I'm content with stuff staying near assembly and being brought from there to me or other requesters.
I do use smart inserters to limit amount of produced items - they place them in passive chests.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Red provider chests work exactly the same way purple provider chests do, except bots don't carry stuff from them to yellow ones. You generally should use red by default and only rarely do something with purple ones.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Active provider chests are useful if you want a bigger buffer than a single passive provider chest can hold. I use them for walls and rails.

It's important to put a limit on the inserters feeding them, so your storage chests don't get full.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

To answer more fully, there are 3 choke points in making Logistics Robots and Construction Robots.

Making the Engine Unit takes 20 seconds. Those can be made fairly early game, so you might want to set up production of a few hundred of those (yes, as in 200-400 units) quite early. They do cost 1 Steel each.

Then you turn those into Electric Engines. That takes another 20 seconds. Also requires Lubricant, so it's a distinctly mid-game thing. Can't be done early game phase.

Finally, you make the Flying Robot Frames, which is later game still. Like late-mid game'ish. Takes another 20 seconds, thus 60 seconds per Robot Frame, although you can pre-produce hundreds of the Engine Units earlier in the game to have them ready.

Making the Robots themselves, out of the Frames, is super-fast though.

Return to “Gameplay Help”