siding

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

siding

Post by Gladaed »

When placing a siding i encountered a problem:

I want a single station to which idle, empty trains can be sent to until further commands.
This station needs to allow all trains to leave without one blocking the way.

broken solution:
I got a rail segment A which fuses the segments B_{n in N} to one and contains the railstop.
This doesn't work becouse a single train from segment B_{i <= n} reserves segment A and blocks trains with the leave command (which in this case is sending them to another station).

Stupid possible Workaround:
Place a dummy train which consists of a single locomotive and idles in segment A and can clear it by briefly leving into A' and entering A again (with another station as helper)
but i would not be able to ensure the right train uses the opening

solution:
OK Thanks for your help.

I found out that many trainstations can belong to a station in the direction management system therefore i propose this solution to my problem:

At the end of B_i there should be a trainstation EQUAL to the trainstation at B_j for all i,j. Merging will occur in A.

to create a EQUAL to an instance you shift right/leftclick copy/paste
Last edited by Gladaed on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Re: siding

Post by Gladaed »

searched solution: allow trains to only path through but not halt in A

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Assuming all the trains are "equal", it means you only need one station and you can always take the train that is waiting there (i.e. you don't require any of the other trains waiting in behind).

Create a bunch of parallel tracks, enough to park all your trains.
Join all these tracks in one point.
Put a chain signal before the join point at each track.
After the join point extend some rail. Put your station there.

Now if you send a train to the station it will wait on one of the waiting tracks if the station is occupied.

When you send the train at the station away, one of the trains on the waiting tracks will take its place.

Something like this:

This has three outgoing stations with the same name, but you can also have only one, it makes no difference.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Gladaed
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gladaed »

OK Thanks for your help.

I found out that many trainstations can belong to a station in the direction management system therefore i propose this solution to my problem:

At the end of B_i there should be a trainstation EQUAL to the trainstation at B_j for all i,j. Merging will occur in A.

to create a EQUAL to an instance you shift right/leftclick copy/paste

Return to “Gameplay Help”