Solar powered laser turret outpost?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Solar powered laser turret outpost?

Post by brunzenstein »

is there a ideal setup for calculating a autonomous for 4 or 6 laser turret outpost?
How much panels and storage is needed to power such a setup?
Has anyone a screenshot?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Solar powered laser turret outpost?

Post by Koub »

There is no ideal setup : it all depends on how much the lasers will have to fire, on average, through a 24 hour cycle (plus maybe a 10 or 20% margin, because you're never too cautious).

If your lasers fire non stop every single second, you'll need a titanic solar array with its titanic accu bank. If your lasers are idle most of the time, you won't need that many.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

i just run power lines everywhere, sometimes i have to replace them, but i have seen nests grow around them many times.

a simple idea if you are having trouble with them being destroyed often, put some turrets around them and some walls, this will hold off the bugs, for a little while.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It's also worth spreading out your solar farms along your rails and having redundancy. That way if a power line is destroyed, either side might suffer a drop in power but it's not going to shut off completely.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I have not found really good solution. At beginning when biters are weak I do not have resources to make lasers and solar systems. But later biters are so strong that it is impractical to fit enough light panels and accumulators to outposts compared to power cables. Maybe there are some time window during midgame but I try to avoid such short lived solutions. But of course it depends strongly on settings and personal preferences and there are not versatile standard solutions.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

I recommend the FARL mod. If you install that, you can set up a track-laying train which automatically places power poles as well, thus spreading your power grid along the rail system. Assuming that you are using trains to move stuff to and from your outposts, this means that you can connect every outpost to your power grid and solve your problem that way :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”