How to make a advanced, efficient factoy

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SwissAndOr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to make a advanced, efficient factoy

Post by SwissAndOr »

I try to but it's really hard with all of the managing of products. Is there any tutorial of guide to help me with this? To make factories with different, advanced end products?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to make a advanced, efficient factoy

Post by ssilk »

The question for me is, why do you want that, because finding out that yourself is the most fun-giving part of the game...

But well, if you want so...

I mean the best way is to look into some saves. They are posted from time to time in this forum. Or in the "show your creations" board.

And you may look into some let's plays. In the wiki are for example some links https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... t%27s_play
Also in his forum, and YouTube is full of it. But don't watch too much and don't believe everything what they might found out.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SwissAndOr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SwissAndOr »

I think I'm going to do 50/50. Also I'm going to try experimenting in sandbox. Just take a look how bad my base is: http://imgur.com/a/N6jWu

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Doesn't look too bad to me :P

But I know what you mean. I love to discover stuff on my own, but i also go ahead and look around a lot, to get inspiration or ideas for new or optimized stuff. No need (and often times no chance) to discover EVERYTHING on my own; the integration on the other hand is my thing completely. I never just copy a setup, I want to understand why it is working this or that way, and then I'm using it for my own factory. I think I am like a Borg in that regard :P

Phy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phy »

I figured out on my 3rd freeplay map, that a conveyor should be limited to 2-3 materials at a time, ever. One side of the conveyor is for X item, and the other side is for Y item, and that's it. Conveyors are easy, and yellow ones are fairly cheap, so just space stuff out for the early materials, then bring it closer for the finished products.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Phy wrote:I figured out on my 3rd freeplay map, that a conveyor should be limited to 2-3 materials at a time, ever. One side of the conveyor is for X item, and the other side is for Y item, and that's it. Conveyors are easy, and yellow ones are fairly cheap, so just space stuff out for the early materials, then bring it closer for the finished products.
Well... I have a "high tech belt" in my last factory with around 6 different products on it. It takes processing units, electro motors, batteries and stuff to a train, where it is brought to another station. Smart inserters sort it there. That's easily possible because the mentioned products do not come in masses.

To topic: It's funny though, there is not one of the usual tips and tricks collections, be it in form of an article or forum thread. Well, it's still early, we should start that at one point :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

GewaltSam wrote: To topic: It's funny though, there is not one of the usual tips and tricks collections, be it in form of an article or forum thread. Well, it's still early, we should start that at one point :)
There are two reasons:
1. There is just too much stuff...
2. The tips and tricks are the wiki.

BenWo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BenWo »

ssilk wrote:The tips and tricks are the wiki.
I was seriously about to suggest such a "Tips and Tricks" page on the wiki. :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Do what you mean, I rise only the finger if we begin to have tips and tricks in forum AND wicki, or in some boards.

The target is to bring as many players as possible to ONE right place for their current problem. :)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

I like those "Random Tips and Tricks" pages and/or threads though. It's not a good way to publish complex strategies, but I always get nice ideas out of that kind of things. You're right though ssilk, wiki is generally better sorted, especially if you're looking for specific information.

What I like to see at some point is some tips and tricks regarding controls. I found out most of them for myself (I think), but there might still be many things to be learned. Just discovered that you can choose the right side of your toolbelt with Shift+1-5 for example, didn't know that after nearly 100 hours of playtime :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”