Circuit Madness

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Circuit Madness

Post by rldml »

arrrrr, this is driving me crazy...

could i be, that the circuit logic part of the game is completely broken?

I need a circuit logic, that can store a value when a pulse signal arrives it and remove that value, when a second pulse signal is fired, that differs from the first. Also a circuit logic, that counts an item of a specific type that runs on a ribbon.

I don't have any clue how to start. All i got build by myself until now was a simply circuit which can be described as an extreme complicated switch (On-Off, nothing more, no memory-like stuff between it...). The wiki-sites and the forum-entries did'nt really help, because all i see is a bunch of logic operators, but not how they are exactly configured and what they precisely doing (What the hell is a S-R-Latch?) - if the solution for my request on this site, i can't recognise it. If someone has a link to the basics of logic operating in factorio with some starting projetcs (and explanation of the practical use) for dumb idiots like me, it would be very nice.

Any help is appreciated, i'm extremely frustrated and already began to think about to simply delete this game from my hdd.

Greetings, Ronny

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Circuit Madness

Post by t-lor »

no it isnt broken, it's just a simplified version of real life chips, whitch means it still complicated :)
It helps to have an understanding of simple circuit design/programming.

But an SR latch is what u want. couple 2 deciders before it, then u set decider one to send a SET when u send it a pulse signal, and RESET it by sending a pulse from the other decider.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

memory cell can remember pulse signals. arithmetic combinator wired to itself set to 'each + 0' is your memory cell.
wire (same color) your pulse signal to the input of the memory cell.
wire(same color) the signal you want to subtract to the input of a second arithmetic combinator set to 'each(or whatever signal) * -1 (output each or signal you want). wire (same color) the second combinator's output to the input of the memory cell. it will then subtract the pulse instead of add.

a good explanation of an SR latch here. *note, you don't need two color wires like he says.
i would use a switch instead of wiring the pumps.
HTH

Dimanper
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dimanper »

Hi, rldml.
It's not really about factorio logic having issues, it's about this kind of logic is complicated just in general. So, if you need to build an SR latch, you need to understand what SR latch is (perhaps just google it, click on the first link and look at the first image, most likely no more information will be required to understand what it is). And if you don't want to spend your time figuring out all this stuff, then don't do it. It's not like there are many workarounds to make it easier to build an SR latch (apart from putting all-logic-that-you-need-in-one-entity into the game). It's like saying that building processors is complicated, so there is something wrong with the process of building processors. No, it's just processors are complicated.

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

Dimanper wrote:Hi, rldml.
It's not really about factorio logic having issues, it's about this kind of logic is complicated just in general. So, if you need to build an SR latch, you need to understand what SR latch is (perhaps just google it, click on the first link and look at the first image, most likely no more information will be required to understand what it is). And if you don't want to spend your time figuring out all this stuff, then don't do it. It's not like there are many workarounds to make it easier to build an SR latch (apart from putting all-logic-that-you-need-in-one-entity into the game). It's like saying that building processors is complicated, so there is something wrong with the process of building processors. No, it's just processors are complicated.
TBH u can get quit a few things done without deciders.
Instead of a SR Latch. Put a would in a box at signal A, take it out at Signal B. Only do stuff when theres a wood in the box,
Same principle, but WAY much easier to get your head around

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

impetus maximus wrote: a good explanation of an SR latch here. *note, you don't need two color wires like he says.
i would use a switch instead of wiring the pumps.
HTH
Huhh... i should't drink as much beer as last night. Thx @all for the smart replies, the youtube-video is exactly what i'm searching for. Sorry, if i had upset someone here, this wasn't my intention.

I'll update this Thread, if my Circuit is doing what i want to have :)

Grretings, Ronny

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

An SR Latch is reality is very simple. In Factorio it's already a little more complicated than with normal electronics.

Return to “Gameplay Help”